Watch us fly KLM 2 different ways: Business class versus economy
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s been a while since we conducted a multi-cabin review on a true long-haul flight — and what better way to get back to business than to try out one of Europe’s key flag carriers.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Founded in 1919, KLM is the oldest airline in the world still in service today. The Air France-KLM Group flies to more than 250 destinations and is a group of key importance to travelers in the U.K. since the airlines became accessible for earning and burning miles through the Virgin Atlantic Flying Club.
KLM also has a huge presence at regional U.K. airports, allowing Brits from all over the U.K. to traverse all four corners of the globe.
We boarded an 11-year-old KLM Boeing 777-300ER, departing Amsterdam (AMS) for a nearly six-hour flight to Dubai Airport (DXB). I tried out business class, while Liam Spencer, TPG U.K.’s senior social media manager, headed to the back of the plane and compared my experience to KLM’s economy class
Watch the full video of our experience here:
Business Class – Nicky Kelvin
TPG paid: 50,000 Virgin Points plus about $178 (£136)
The ground experience was incredibly impressive. The KLM lounge was modern, comfortable and expansive.
There were a number of touches such as local snacks and spirits, plus an end-of-flight ceramic Delft house gift that made the entire experience feel uniquely Dutch in a wonderful way.
The food on board was unlike other food I had tried on a plane with interesting vegetarian options which were both colorful as well as tasty enough to satisfy this non-vegetarian.
While the seat was comfortable, it did lack storage and privacy and wasn’t the best seat in the fleet. I would love to go back on board KLM to try out the airline’s newest product.
Economy – Liam Spencer
TPG paid: $713 (£544)
I found Amsterdam Schiphol Airport (AMS) bright and spacious with plenty of great options to grab food and refreshments before the flight. There was also a couple of decent options to eat on board, particularly the dessert of apple crumble, which was delicious and the best thing I ate on the flight.
The flight itself was operated efficiently with an on-time departure and arrival.
It wasn’t all great, however. The seat was fairly rigid and became more uncomfortable the longer the flight went on.
I found that the main meal was below par with very rubbery chicken balls, made even more difficult to cut by the wooden cutlery.
The service was poor throughout the flight and during our signature “call bell challenge,” my call bell was never actually answered. An hour went by without a cabin crew member even stepping foot in the economy cabin.
Featured photo by The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 125,000 Marriott Bonvoy Bonus Points after spending $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer expires 8/31/22.
- 6x points at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program.
- 4x points for purchases made at restaurants worldwide, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping.
- 2x points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 7% discount off standard rates for reservations of standard guest rooms at hotels that participate in the Marriott Bonvoy program when you book directly. Terms and Conditions Apply.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy Complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status with your Card.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees