You Can Now Visit Yellowstone Before All the Tourists Arrive
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Yellowstone National Park officially opened its East Entrance on Friday for the 2019-2020 season. The park’s other entrances and all roadways will be open by Memorial Day Weekend, assuming the weather cooperates.
The East Entrance offers visitors the most direct route to Yellowstone Lake, which is situated above North America’s largest supervolcano, Yellowstone Caldera. Among many other noteworthy features, this is where the famous Old Faithful geyser erupts throughout the day, spewing up to 8,400 gallons of scalding water over 100 feet in the air. The lake is also unique as one of the largest high-altitude bodies of freshwater on this continent.
May is a great time to visit Yellowstone, before peak summer months bring tourists galore; in fact, more than half of the park’s annual visitors come through during the months of June, July and August. The National Park Service particularly recommends hiking at low elevations in May in order to observe all the new birth that spring brings. Observant visitors may be able to spot bear cubs, bison and elk calves, wolf puppies, bighorn lambs and pronghorn fawns exploring their new world for the first time.
Featured photo courtesy of Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees