You Can Now Visit Yellowstone Before All the Tourists Arrive
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Yellowstone National Park officially opened its East Entrance on Friday for the 2019-2020 season. The park’s other entrances and all roadways will be open by Memorial Day Weekend, assuming the weather cooperates.
The East Entrance offers visitors the most direct route to Yellowstone Lake, which is situated above North America’s largest supervolcano, Yellowstone Caldera. Among many other noteworthy features, this is where the famous Old Faithful geyser erupts throughout the day, spewing up to 8,400 gallons of scalding water over 100 feet in the air. The lake is also unique as one of the largest high-altitude bodies of freshwater on this continent.
May is a great time to visit Yellowstone, before peak summer months bring tourists galore; in fact, more than half of the park’s annual visitors come through during the months of June, July and August. The National Park Service particularly recommends hiking at low elevations in May in order to observe all the new birth that spring brings. Observant visitors may be able to spot bear cubs, bison and elk calves, wolf puppies, bighorn lambs and pronghorn fawns exploring their new world for the first time.
Featured photo courtesy of Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.