This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) joins Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport (ORD) as being the only two US cities to offer nonstop flights to six continents.
Ethiopian Airlines, Africa’s largest and fastest growing aviation group, announced Wednesday that it will be making nonstop flights on its Boeing 787-8 between LAX and Togo, Lomé beginning Dec. 17. Lomé–Tokoin International Airport (LFW) will serve as a stopover point before the aircraft continues to Addis Ababa. The distance between LAX and LFW is 7,621 miles, and a direct flight will take about 14 hours. Ethiopian has fifth freedom rights between LAX and LFW.
The airline is also starting a new route from Addis Abada to Dublin via Madrid on Dec. 15.
As this is the West Coats first direct flight to Africa, LAX is now one of at least six airports with nonstop routes to all continents, excluding Antartica. In addition to Chicago and Los Angeles, you can reach the six continents nonstop from London (LHR), Johannesburg (JNB), Doha (DOH) and Dubai (DXB), according to Travel and Leisure.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards