You Can Fly Nonstop From LAX to West Africa Starting in December
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) joins Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport (ORD) as being the only two US cities to offer nonstop flights to six continents.
Ethiopian Airlines, Africa’s largest and fastest growing aviation group, announced Wednesday that it will be making nonstop flights on its Boeing 787-8 between LAX and Togo, Lomé beginning Dec. 17. Lomé–Tokoin International Airport (LFW) will serve as a stopover point before the aircraft continues to Addis Ababa. The distance between LAX and LFW is 7,621 miles, and a direct flight will take about 14 hours. Ethiopian has fifth freedom rights between LAX and LFW.
The airline is also starting a new route from Addis Abada to Dublin via Madrid on Dec. 15.
As this is the West Coats first direct flight to Africa, LAX is now one of at least six airports with nonstop routes to all continents, excluding Antartica. In addition to Chicago and Los Angeles, you can reach the six continents nonstop from London (LHR), Johannesburg (JNB), Doha (DOH) and Dubai (DXB), according to Travel and Leisure.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees