This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) joins Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport (ORD) as being the only two US cities to offer nonstop flights to six continents.
Ethiopian Airlines, Africa’s largest and fastest growing aviation group, announced Wednesday that it will be making nonstop flights on its Boeing 787-8 between LAX and Togo, Lomé beginning Dec. 17. Lomé–Tokoin International Airport (LFW) will serve as a stopover point before the aircraft continues to Addis Ababa. The distance between LAX and LFW is 7,621 miles, and a direct flight will take about 14 hours. Ethiopian has fifth freedom rights between LAX and LFW.
The airline is also starting a new route from Addis Abada to Dublin via Madrid on Dec. 15.
As this is the West Coats first direct flight to Africa, LAX is now one of at least six airports with nonstop routes to all continents, excluding Antartica. In addition to Chicago and Los Angeles, you can reach the six continents nonstop from London (LHR), Johannesburg (JNB), Doha (DOH) and Dubai (DXB), according to Travel and Leisure.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees