Breaking: 737 Skids off Runway in Manila
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Xiamen Airlines Boeing 737-800 reportedly veered off the runway at Manila International Airport (MNL) early Friday morning local time.
Xiamen Flight 8667, from the Chinese city of Xiamen (XMN) to Manila, appears to have made a few circles before attempting to land at MNL. Accoding to the flight playback on tracking website FlightRadar24, the aircraft then attempted to land but resulted in a missed approach. On the second attempt, the aircraft had a so-called “runway excursion” off runway 24.
Unverified images appear to show the 737-800 listing to port and off the runway in the dark. The left engine appears to be detached. Details about injuries on board, if any, remain unclear.
TPG reached out to Xiamen’s US office but did not hear back by time of publication.
Weather could have played a role in the excursion, though that remains unclear at this time.
According to PlaneSpotters.net, the aircraft, registration B-5498, is just a bit over 8.5 years old. In January 2010, it was delivered to Xiamen Airlines, where it has operated ever since. Xiamen’s 738s are equipped to carry up to 184 passengers, depending on the variant.
This is a developing story…
Featured photo by TonyV3112 / Getty Images.
This card from Bank of America gets really interesting if you have a BofA checking, savings or investment account. Depending on the value of your combined accounts you can potentially get as much as 3.5x points on travel/dining and 2.625x points on other purchases making it the richest consumer banking bonus out there.
- Receive 50,000 bonus points – a $500 value – after you make at least $3,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening
- Earn unlimited 2 points for every $1 spent on travel and dining purchases and unlimited 1.5 points per $1 spent on all other purchases
- If you're a Bank of America Preferred Rewards member, you can earn 25%-75% more points on every purchase
- No limit to the points you can earn and your points don't expire
- Redeem for cash back as a statement credit, deposit into eligible Bank of America® accounts, credit to eligible Merrill accounts, or gift cards or purchases at the Bank of America Travel Center
- Get up to $200 in combined airline incidental and airport expedited screening statement credits + valuable travel insurance protections
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Low $95 annual fee