Breaking: 737 Skids off Runway in Manila
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Xiamen Airlines Boeing 737-800 reportedly veered off the runway at Manila International Airport (MNL) early Friday morning local time.
Xiamen Flight 8667, from the Chinese city of Xiamen (XMN) to Manila, appears to have made a few circles before attempting to land at MNL. Accoding to the flight playback on tracking website FlightRadar24, the aircraft then attempted to land but resulted in a missed approach. On the second attempt, the aircraft had a so-called “runway excursion” off runway 24.
Unverified images appear to show the 737-800 listing to port and off the runway in the dark. The left engine appears to be detached. Details about injuries on board, if any, remain unclear.
TPG reached out to Xiamen’s US office but did not hear back by time of publication.
Weather could have played a role in the excursion, though that remains unclear at this time.
According to PlaneSpotters.net, the aircraft, registration B-5498, is just a bit over 8.5 years old. In January 2010, it was delivered to Xiamen Airlines, where it has operated ever since. Xiamen’s 738s are equipped to carry up to 184 passengers, depending on the variant.
This is a developing story…
Featured photo by TonyV3112 / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.