This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Xiamen Airlines Boeing 737-800 reportedly veered off the runway at Manila International Airport (MNL) early Friday morning local time.
Xiamen Flight 8667, from the Chinese city of Xiamen (XMN) to Manila, appears to have made a few circles before attempting to land at MNL. Accoding to the flight playback on tracking website FlightRadar24, the aircraft then attempted to land but resulted in a missed approach. On the second attempt, the aircraft had a so-called “runway excursion” off runway 24.
Unverified images appear to show the 737-800 listing to port and off the runway in the dark. The left engine appears to be detached. Details about injuries on board, if any, remain unclear.
TPG reached out to Xiamen’s US office but did not hear back by time of publication.
Weather could have played a role in the excursion, though that remains unclear at this time.
According to PlaneSpotters.net, the aircraft, registration B-5498, is just a bit over 8.5 years old. In January 2010, it was delivered to Xiamen Airlines, where it has operated ever since. Xiamen’s 738s are equipped to carry up to 184 passengers, depending on the variant.
This is a developing story…
Featured photo by TonyV3112 / Getty Images.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees