WOW’s Trying to Compete in the Transatlantic Business Market With New Premium Fare
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ultra-low-cost carrier WOW Air announced on Friday that it’s launching a full-service ticket bundle, which it claims rivals similar business services with legacy carriers.
[Update, 3/28/2019: WOW Air has ceased operations. Find our ongoing coverage of WOW Air’s collapse, and what affected passengers can do about it, here.]
WOW Premium, the new ticket bundle, offers travelers “a more inclusive travel experience,” with fares remaining closer to what passengers have come to expect from the ultra-low-cost carrier. In all, the WOW Premium ticket bundle includes: the WOW Air BigSeat (a wider seat with a foot rest and at least 37 inches of legroom), priority boarding and fast track security, an in-flight meal and drinks, two checked bags, one carry-on item, one personal item and no change fee for reschedule and cancellation protection.
If this package sounds somewhat familiar, that’s because it is. The WOW Premium bundle is “an enhanced version” of the WOW Biz product that was announced in 2017. Check out TPG Managing Editor Alberto Riva’s review of the WOW Biz product here. With the Biz seat, you would get a personal item, carry-on bag, checked bag, cancellation protection, in-flight meal, XXL legroom and priority boarding. So, the Premium option differs in that it offers an additional checked bag, a BigSeat (37-45 inches of pitch and a foot rest) and fast track at security.
WOW believes that with this new Premium bundle, it can offer a premium product that’s on par with legacy carriers’ transatlantic business products but at a lower cost.
The carrier’s A320s will feature four business class seats, and A321s will have eight. Meanwhile the A330s will feature 42 BigSeats. The carrier is in the process of retrofitting its existing fleet of Airbus A320, A321 and A330s with the new configuration, featuring the BigSeat seat. By the end of 2018, WOW’s CEO expects to have all of its aircraft retrofitted with the new seat.
With the addition of WOW Premium to its fare offering, the carrier now offers four different types of tickets.
For the launch of its new Premium product WOW is offering discounts on tickets for travel in the cabin. WOW is advertising select one-way WOW Premium fares to Reykjavik (KEF) from Los Angeles (LAX), San Francisco (SFO) and New York (EWR and JFK) for as low as $399. Alternatively, you can fly from LAX, SFO, EWR or JFK to Amsterdam (AMS), Paris (CDG) and London (STN and LGW) via KEF for as low as $599. However, the lowest fares we found were from New York (JFK and EWR) to KEF from $599 one-way:
Featured image by Alberto Riva.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees