WOW’s Trying to Compete in the Transatlantic Business Market With New Premium Fare
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ultra-low-cost carrier WOW Air announced on Friday that it’s launching a full-service ticket bundle, which it claims rivals similar business services with legacy carriers.
[Update, 3/28/2019: WOW Air has ceased operations. Find our ongoing coverage of WOW Air’s collapse, and what affected passengers can do about it, here.]
WOW Premium, the new ticket bundle, offers travelers “a more inclusive travel experience,” with fares remaining closer to what passengers have come to expect from the ultra-low-cost carrier. In all, the WOW Premium ticket bundle includes: the WOW Air BigSeat (a wider seat with a foot rest and at least 37 inches of legroom), priority boarding and fast track security, an in-flight meal and drinks, two checked bags, one carry-on item, one personal item and no change fee for reschedule and cancellation protection.
If this package sounds somewhat familiar, that’s because it is. The WOW Premium bundle is “an enhanced version” of the WOW Biz product that was announced in 2017. Check out TPG Managing Editor Alberto Riva’s review of the WOW Biz product here. With the Biz seat, you would get a personal item, carry-on bag, checked bag, cancellation protection, in-flight meal, XXL legroom and priority boarding. So, the Premium option differs in that it offers an additional checked bag, a BigSeat (37-45 inches of pitch and a foot rest) and fast track at security.
WOW believes that with this new Premium bundle, it can offer a premium product that’s on par with legacy carriers’ transatlantic business products but at a lower cost.
The carrier’s A320s will feature four business class seats, and A321s will have eight. Meanwhile the A330s will feature 42 BigSeats. The carrier is in the process of retrofitting its existing fleet of Airbus A320, A321 and A330s with the new configuration, featuring the BigSeat seat. By the end of 2018, WOW’s CEO expects to have all of its aircraft retrofitted with the new seat.
With the addition of WOW Premium to its fare offering, the carrier now offers four different types of tickets.
For the launch of its new Premium product WOW is offering discounts on tickets for travel in the cabin. WOW is advertising select one-way WOW Premium fares to Reykjavik (KEF) from Los Angeles (LAX), San Francisco (SFO) and New York (EWR and JFK) for as low as $399. Alternatively, you can fly from LAX, SFO, EWR or JFK to Amsterdam (AMS), Paris (CDG) and London (STN and LGW) via KEF for as low as $599. However, the lowest fares we found were from New York (JFK and EWR) to KEF from $599 one-way:
Featured image by Alberto Riva.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.