WOW Air CEO Paints Bleak Picture of Airline’s Future in Bondholder Letter
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Time is not on WOW Air‘s side. While Icelandair announced its intentions to acquire the struggling carrier a few weeks ago, that’s not looking as certain right now. In a rare move, CEO Skuli Mogensen penned a letter to bondholders that paints a pretty rough picture. He not only blames “significant bad publicity about the financial health of WOW Air” for creating a situation where its Q4 financials are “materially worse than originally anticipated,” but lays out his view of a domino effect leading to today. [Update, 3/28/2019: WOW Air has ceased operations. Find our ongoing coverage of WOW Air’s collapse, and what affected passengers can do about it, here.]
The series of unfortunate events includes, bizarrely, Primera Air’s collapse, which Mogensen claims “further worsened an already challenged situation.” As the walls have closed in around the carrier, customers are booking less and creditors are hounding WOW Air for payments — not exactly ideal when you’re having cash flow problems. New York’s JFK, Dallas, St. Louis, Cleveland, Cincinnati and Tel Aviv routes have been casualties of WOW Air’s contraction so far.
Mogensen goes on to say that WOW Air has been “working diligently to seek additional funding.” He has personally sunk another 5.5 million euro into the bond, noting that the company is “taking every step possible to ensure the continuous operation of WOW Air.”
If you have a booking, now would be a good time to check which credit card you used to purchase the flight and familiarize yourself with the card’s trip cancellation policies and other travel benefits. We’ve reached out to WOW Air for comment and will update if a response is provided.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees