The Worst Part About Thanksgiving Travel Isn’t Actually the Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It turns out, the worst part about Thanksgiving isn’t the airport — or arguing with extended family members over a carved turkey.
Travelers know to brace themselves for crowds, delays and queues around Thanksgiving. More than 54 million Americans are expected to travel this year between Nov. 21 and Nov. 25, according to AAA, and the TSA is anticipating a 7% increase in passenger volume (about 25 million travelers).
But according to Cars.com, it’s the simple act of driving to the airport that could be the worst part of Thanksgiving this year.
Drive times vary, of course, depending on your departure airport and date of travel. For instance, getting to LaGuardia in New York City will always take you more time than navigating to Charlotte Douglas International Airport. But INRIX, a global mobility analytics company, is predicting that travel times in the most congested cities could be four times longer than normal this Thanksgiving period.
If you’re flying out of one of these notoriously congested cities, be prepared for outright agonizing airport drive times this year — and avoid at all costs traveling during peak traffic. According to the study, each drive time is estimated from the city’s downtown neighborhood. Read up, plan ahead and don’t by shy about hitting the road extra early this year. Because the only thing that could make Thanksgiving travel more stressful is missing your flight altogether.
10. Charlotte (CLT), North Carolina
Travel time: 21 minutes if traveling on Tuesday, Nov. 20 between 8pm and 10pm.
9. San Francisco (SFO), California
Travel time: 24 minutes if traveling on Monday, Nov. 19 between 5pm and 7pm.
8. Las Vegas (LAS), Nevada
Travel time: 27 minutes if traveling on Wednesday, Nov. 21 between 8am and 9am.
7. Dallas (DFW), Texas
Travel time: 30 minutes if traveling on Monday, Nov. 19 between 5pm and 7pm.
6. Atlanta (ATL), Georgia
Travel time: 34 minutes if traveling on Tuesday, Nov. 20 between 7pm and 9pm.
5. Seattle (SEA), Washington
Travel time: 41 minutes if traveling on Wednesday, Nov. 21 between 8pm and 10pm.
4. Denver (DIA) Colorado
Travel time: 55 minutes if traveling on Monday, Nov. 19 between 5:30pm and 7:30pm.
3. Los Angeles (LAX), California
Travel time: 58 minutes if traveling on Tuesday, Nov. 20 between 7pm and 9pm.
2. New York City (JFK), New York
Travel time: 1 hour and 19 minutes if traveling on Tuesday, Nov. 20 between 5:30pm and 7:30pm.
1. Chicago (ORD), Illinois
Travel time: 1 hour and 37 minutes if traveling on Wednesday, Nov. 21 between 1:30pm and 3:30pm.
In fact, even if you aren’t flying out of one of these cities, be sure to factor in extra time for your travels. Being early is always better than starting off your trip rushed and full of holiday road rage.
Feature image by NurPhoto / Getty Images Contributor.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.