The Worst Part About Thanksgiving Travel Isn’t Actually the Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It turns out, the worst part about Thanksgiving isn’t the airport — or arguing with extended family members over a carved turkey.
Travelers know to brace themselves for crowds, delays and queues around Thanksgiving. More than 54 million Americans are expected to travel this year between Nov. 21 and Nov. 25, according to AAA, and the TSA is anticipating a 7% increase in passenger volume (about 25 million travelers).
But according to Cars.com, it’s the simple act of driving to the airport that could be the worst part of Thanksgiving this year.
Drive times vary, of course, depending on your departure airport and date of travel. For instance, getting to LaGuardia in New York City will always take you more time than navigating to Charlotte Douglas International Airport. But INRIX, a global mobility analytics company, is predicting that travel times in the most congested cities could be four times longer than normal this Thanksgiving period.
If you’re flying out of one of these notoriously congested cities, be prepared for outright agonizing airport drive times this year — and avoid at all costs traveling during peak traffic. According to the study, each drive time is estimated from the city’s downtown neighborhood. Read up, plan ahead and don’t by shy about hitting the road extra early this year. Because the only thing that could make Thanksgiving travel more stressful is missing your flight altogether.
10. Charlotte (CLT), North Carolina
Travel time: 21 minutes if traveling on Tuesday, Nov. 20 between 8pm and 10pm.
9. San Francisco (SFO), California
Travel time: 24 minutes if traveling on Monday, Nov. 19 between 5pm and 7pm.
8. Las Vegas (LAS), Nevada
Travel time: 27 minutes if traveling on Wednesday, Nov. 21 between 8am and 9am.
7. Dallas (DFW), Texas
Travel time: 30 minutes if traveling on Monday, Nov. 19 between 5pm and 7pm.
6. Atlanta (ATL), Georgia
Travel time: 34 minutes if traveling on Tuesday, Nov. 20 between 7pm and 9pm.
5. Seattle (SEA), Washington
Travel time: 41 minutes if traveling on Wednesday, Nov. 21 between 8pm and 10pm.
4. Denver (DIA) Colorado
Travel time: 55 minutes if traveling on Monday, Nov. 19 between 5:30pm and 7:30pm.
3. Los Angeles (LAX), California
Travel time: 58 minutes if traveling on Tuesday, Nov. 20 between 7pm and 9pm.
2. New York City (JFK), New York
Travel time: 1 hour and 19 minutes if traveling on Tuesday, Nov. 20 between 5:30pm and 7:30pm.
1. Chicago (ORD), Illinois
Travel time: 1 hour and 37 minutes if traveling on Wednesday, Nov. 21 between 1:30pm and 3:30pm.
In fact, even if you aren’t flying out of one of these cities, be sure to factor in extra time for your travels. Being early is always better than starting off your trip rushed and full of holiday road rage.
Feature image by NurPhoto / Getty Images Contributor.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.