World’s largest cruise ship to change homeport — again
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Wonder of the Seas, soon to be the world’s largest cruise ship, will be based in Port Canaveral near Orlando for its second season of Caribbean voyages from the U.S.
Royal Caribbean shared the news late Wednesday on its Twitter page, with the line’s website showing the ship will arrive in Port Canaveral on Nov. 15, 2022, to sail a fall and winter season of Eastern Caribbean voyages from the Space Coast.
Wonder of the Seas brings bold new year-round adventures to Orlando. Now, you can take on the thrills of the Space Coast before boarding the biggest ship in the world.
— Royal Caribbean (@RoyalCaribbean) December 15, 2021
For more cruise news, reviews and tips, sign up for TPG’s cruise newsletter.
Wonder of the Seas, the fifth vessel in Royal Caribbean’s Oasis Class, debuts March 4, 2022, in Fort Lauderdale’s Port Everglades. From there, it will sail a spring season of Caribbean itineraries, offering calls on Cozumel, St. Maarten and private island Perfect Day at CocoCay, among other ports.
In summer 2022, it will relocate to Barcelona for a stint in the Mediterranean, calling on ports like Capri and Palma de Mallorca. On Oct. 30, 2022, it is scheduled to depart on a 15-day transatlantic sailing from Barcelona to return to Florida, but instead of going back to Port Everglades, it will reposition itself in Port Canaveral.
Originally, the nearly 7,000-passenger ship was built for the Chinese market and was slated to be based in Shanghai, but with cruise travel in China still shut down, Royal Caribbean was forced to rethink its plans for the vessel earlier this year.
Currently under construction at the Chantiers de l’Atlantique shipyard in Saint-Nazaire, France, Wonder of the Seas will officially be the world’s largest cruise ship, dethroning sister ship Symphony of the Seas, which currently holds the title.
In addition to eight dedicated neighborhoods — including a boardwalk, a park area with live plants and a new exclusive suite enclave — Wonder of the Seas will also offer a reimagined pool area; Wonder Playscape, an interactive, top-deck family play area; and The Vue, a cantilevered bar that offers panoramic sea views.
Bookings for the fall 2022 voyages from Port Canaveral opened for sale on Dec. 15, 2021.
Featured photo courtesy of Royal Caribbean.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees