Stay in a floating hotel near Doha for the 2022 FIFA World Cup
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Doha, Qatar, is the host city for the FIFA World Cup 2022 soccer tournament, which is one of the world’s most-watched (and most-attended) events. Host cities around the world go on construction frenzies in the years leading up to the World Cup, building everything from infrastructure such as drainage systems and new bridges to housing for the athletes and hotels for the guests who will descend on the city once the tournament starts.
Planners in Doha are taking a novel approach to upping the city’s hotel-room capacity, creating a set of 16 floating hotels on Qetaifan Island North, near Doha. Unlike some floating hotels that were actually once oceanliners (we’re looking at you, Queen Elizabeth 2 in Dubai), these accommodations are being newly built.
The project’s island home measures about 4.7 million square feet and features seven beaches, which are sure to be attractive to the throngs of visitors expected to attend the event. The hotels will be within walking distance to Lusail International Stadium, the location of the opening and closing games of the World Cup.
Each of the four-story hotels will have 101 rooms. The project will have 1,616 rooms in total, along with a restaurant and a lounge car, according to the press release.
The hotels will be built by a company called ADMARES, which calls itself “the world leader in alternative real estate with pioneering construction methods.” The award-winning Finnish architecture firm Sigge Architects is responsible for the design. These floating hotels are crafted to have a minimal carbon footprint and will be powered by solar energy.
This project could prove to be a trend-setter, as the structures as designed don’t require a deep-water harbor. In fact, these hotels can be placed in any location where the water is at least 13 feet deep. We could easily see this concept being replicated in other seaside locations where temporary housing or lodging is needed.
If you’re planning on visiting Doha for the World Cup but would rather stay elsewhere, the city has plenty of points hotels to suit your needs. If you’re a Marriott loyalist, you have more than 10 choices, including two Ritz-Carlton properties, a St. Regis, a W and a Luxury Collection hotel. While Marriott has the largest presence, IHG has seven hotels, Hilton six and Hyatt two.
Featured image courtesy of ADMARES.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees