Women Taking Selfie Damage Goya, Dali Paintings in Russia
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It seems like tourists will do anything to get the perfect selfie these days. At an exhibition at the Main Avenue Cultural Center in the Urals city of Yekaterinburg, Russia, an over-zealous selfie-taker and two accomplices accidentally knocked over a display containing paintings by Francisco Goya and Salvador Dali. Turns out those “no-selfie zones” medical researchers are pushing for might come in handy for more than just a safety precaution.
Video footage of the incident shows two of the selfie-taking party in front of the Goya/Dali display, one standing behind it with her phone in selfie-position after the display had fallen over. Both paintings, according to TASS, are currently being examined by specialists for damage. The Goya painting sustained damages to its frame and protective glass. “As far as Dali’s artwork is concerned, apart from shattered frame and protective glass, it also suffered damage to the picture itself,” a culture center employee said.
Russian authorities have since identified the three women that caused the incident as part of a tour group from Chelyabinsk. As of now, the city of Yekaterinburg does not plan on opening a criminal case against the women, CNN reports. However, the deputy director of the cultural center has requested justice for the paintings in a written statement to the police.
The exhibit, despite the damages, is continuing on its normal schedule.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.