Women Taking Selfie Damage Goya, Dali Paintings in Russia
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It seems like tourists will do anything to get the perfect selfie these days. At an exhibition at the Main Avenue Cultural Center in the Urals city of Yekaterinburg, Russia, an over-zealous selfie-taker and two accomplices accidentally knocked over a display containing paintings by Francisco Goya and Salvador Dali. Turns out those “no-selfie zones” medical researchers are pushing for might come in handy for more than just a safety precaution.
Video footage of the incident shows two of the selfie-taking party in front of the Goya/Dali display, one standing behind it with her phone in selfie-position after the display had fallen over. Both paintings, according to TASS, are currently being examined by specialists for damage. The Goya painting sustained damages to its frame and protective glass. “As far as Dali’s artwork is concerned, apart from shattered frame and protective glass, it also suffered damage to the picture itself,” a culture center employee said.
Russian authorities have since identified the three women that caused the incident as part of a tour group from Chelyabinsk. As of now, the city of Yekaterinburg does not plan on opening a criminal case against the women, CNN reports. However, the deputy director of the cultural center has requested justice for the paintings in a written statement to the police.
The exhibit, despite the damages, is continuing on its normal schedule.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees