Abu Dhabi will get a new low-cost airline next week
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Wizz Air’s new Abu Dhabi unit will commence operations on Jan. 15. The ultra-low-cost airline will operate its first of three weekly flights from Abu Dhabi (AUH) to Athens (ATH).
The first route to Athens, which is offering fares from as low as $35 one-way, will operate on the following schedule:
- Abu Dhabi (AUH) 12:30 p.m. Departure ⇒ Athens (ATH) 4:15 p.m. Arrival
- Athens (ATH) 4:50 p.m. Departure ⇒ Abu Dhabi (AUH) 11:30 p.m. Arrival
As of Feb. 4, Wizz Air Abu Dhabi will then launch a second service from its hub at AUH to Thessaloniki. In the coming months, the airline will also launch flights to Alexandria, Kutaisi, Larnaca, Odessa and Yerevan.
Sign up to receive the daily TPG newsletter for more airline news!
According to Cirium data, the Abu Dhabi-based airline has three A321neo aircraft in its fleet and an additional aircraft on order.
The Hungary-based Wizz Air is hoping to recreate its low-cost success in the UAE. Just over a year ago, Wizz Air announced that it would be expanding to the UAE, however, because of the coronavirus pandemic, those plans had been delayed.
Originally set to launch in October, the new airline will first take to the skies on Jan. 15. At launch, its rollout will be restricted to countries that currently allow for quarantine-free travel from Abu Dhabi.
In the future, Wizz CEO Jozsef Varadi said that the Middle Eastern unit could operate as many as 100 aircraft one day. While at launch, it’s focussing on routes from the Middle East to Europe and Asia, it plans to expand that footprint to South Asia as well as to India and Africa.
The introduction of Wizz Air Abu Dhabi into the market will be a rare sight in the UAE. In a market dominated by the big three Middle Eastern carriers — Qatar, Emirates and Abu Dhabi — Wizz Air Abu Dhabi hopes to target a segment of the market looking for a no-strings, low-cost experience. Last year, Air Arabia Abu Dhabi, a joint venture between Abu Dhabi-based Etihad and low-cost Air Arabia, also launched in the market.
In Europe, Wizz Air has been expanding at a rapid rate — even amid the coronavirus pandemic upending the travel and aviation industries. The carrier has opened a new base and launched new routes from Doncaster Sheffield, opened a new base at London Gatwick, expanded service to the Canary Islands and more.
In the midst of a global pandemic, Wizz Air sees the opportunity for growth — in the U.K., throughout Europe and soon from the Middle East.
Featured photo by Omar Marques/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees