Abu Dhabi will get a new low-cost airline next week
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Wizz Air’s new Abu Dhabi unit will commence operations on Jan. 15. The ultra-low-cost airline will operate its first of three weekly flights from Abu Dhabi (AUH) to Athens (ATH).
The first route to Athens, which is offering fares from as low as $35 one-way, will operate on the following schedule:
- Abu Dhabi (AUH) 12:30 p.m. Departure ⇒ Athens (ATH) 4:15 p.m. Arrival
- Athens (ATH) 4:50 p.m. Departure ⇒ Abu Dhabi (AUH) 11:30 p.m. Arrival
As of Feb. 4, Wizz Air Abu Dhabi will then launch a second service from its hub at AUH to Thessaloniki. In the coming months, the airline will also launch flights to Alexandria, Kutaisi, Larnaca, Odessa and Yerevan.
According to Cirium data, the Abu Dhabi-based airline has three A321neo aircraft in its fleet and an additional aircraft on order.
The Hungary-based Wizz Air is hoping to recreate its low-cost success in the UAE. Just over a year ago, Wizz Air announced that it would be expanding to the UAE, however, because of the coronavirus pandemic, those plans had been delayed.
Originally set to launch in October, the new airline will first take to the skies on Jan. 15. At launch, its rollout will be restricted to countries that currently allow for quarantine-free travel from Abu Dhabi.
In the future, Wizz CEO Jozsef Varadi said that the Middle Eastern unit could operate as many as 100 aircraft one day. While at launch, it’s focussing on routes from the Middle East to Europe and Asia, it plans to expand that footprint to South Asia as well as to India and Africa.
The introduction of Wizz Air Abu Dhabi into the market will be a rare sight in the UAE. In a market dominated by the big three Middle Eastern carriers — Qatar, Emirates and Abu Dhabi — Wizz Air Abu Dhabi hopes to target a segment of the market looking for a no-strings, low-cost experience. Last year, Air Arabia Abu Dhabi, a joint venture between Abu Dhabi-based Etihad and low-cost Air Arabia, also launched in the market.
In Europe, Wizz Air has been expanding at a rapid rate — even amid the coronavirus pandemic upending the travel and aviation industries. The carrier has opened a new base and launched new routes from Doncaster Sheffield, opened a new base at London Gatwick, expanded service to the Canary Islands and more.
In the midst of a global pandemic, Wizz Air sees the opportunity for growth — in the U.K., throughout Europe and soon from the Middle East.
Featured photo by Omar Marques/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.