Winter Storms: Omaha’s Airport Closed After Plane Skids Off Runway
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Southwest Airlines plane skidded off a runway Friday afternoon at Omaha’s Eppley Airfield (OMA) as winter storm Harper slammed into the Mid-West with ice, snow and wind.
The airport said that Southwest flight 1643 slid off runway 14R after landing in Omaha. There were reportedly no injuries among the passengers on board the 737-800. “Airport fire crews are working with Southwest to deplane the passengers and take them to the terminal,” Eppley Airfield tweeted.
Closer look as passengers exit Southwest Airlines flight 1643 after the plane slid off the runway at Eppley Airfield in icy conditions.
More #omaha #newx info -> https://t.co/ZsTK9EHlLM#wx pic.twitter.com/KpuT6mz9e6
— World-Herald Photo (@OWHpictures) January 18, 2019
The flight touched down at 2:02pm, according to flight tracking site FlightRadar24. Southwest said the plane “safely slid” off the runway while it was taxiing.
Southwest Flight 1643 from LAS to OMA landed safely and slid onto a runway overrun area while taxiing. Customers deplaned the aircraft, with no reported injuries among the 150 Customers & six Crewmembers. Safety is our top priority, and we thank our Customers for their patience.
— Southwest Airlines (@SouthwestAir) January 18, 2019
In another statement on Twitter just after 2:30pm on Friday, the airport said that “all flights are currently suspended.”
Eppley Airfield is currently CLOSED after Southwest Airlines flight 1643 exited the end of Runway 14R following a landing in Omaha. All flights are currently suspended. Please check with your individual airline for flight status.
— Eppley Airfield (@OMAairport) January 18, 2019
Passengers on board the flight said the airport arranged to have the plane towed to the terminal.
And……we’ve slid off the runway! ?
…leave it up to @SouthwestAir to keep things lighthearted and fun while we wait for the plane get to towed. #snow #omaha thx to the pilots and staff for keeping ya safe in this ice and snow mess! pic.twitter.com/BNGPdzKqaY
— Ali Schwanke (@alischwanke) January 18, 2019
Winter storm Harper began to descend on the Mid-West Friday morning. Omaha was forecast to receive freezing rain and light snow on Friday. Harper is predicted to strengthen as it moves to the East Coast into the weekend, with some parts of Maine forecast to receive more than three feet of snow.
US airlines have issued change fee waivers throughout the storm’s path, covering 74 airports throughout the Mid-West and East Coast.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list//
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees