Winter Storms: Omaha’s Airport Closed After Plane Skids Off Runway
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Southwest Airlines plane skidded off a runway Friday afternoon at Omaha’s Eppley Airfield (OMA) as winter storm Harper slammed into the Mid-West with ice, snow and wind.
The airport said that Southwest flight 1643 slid off runway 14R after landing in Omaha. There were reportedly no injuries among the passengers on board the 737-800. “Airport fire crews are working with Southwest to deplane the passengers and take them to the terminal,” Eppley Airfield tweeted.
Closer look as passengers exit Southwest Airlines flight 1643 after the plane slid off the runway at Eppley Airfield in icy conditions.
More #omaha #newx info -> https://t.co/ZsTK9EHlLM#wx pic.twitter.com/KpuT6mz9e6
— World-Herald Photo (@OWHpictures) January 18, 2019
The flight touched down at 2:02pm, according to flight tracking site FlightRadar24. Southwest said the plane “safely slid” off the runway while it was taxiing.
Southwest Flight 1643 from LAS to OMA landed safely and slid onto a runway overrun area while taxiing. Customers deplaned the aircraft, with no reported injuries among the 150 Customers & six Crewmembers. Safety is our top priority, and we thank our Customers for their patience.
— Southwest Airlines (@SouthwestAir) January 18, 2019
In another statement on Twitter just after 2:30pm on Friday, the airport said that “all flights are currently suspended.”
Eppley Airfield is currently CLOSED after Southwest Airlines flight 1643 exited the end of Runway 14R following a landing in Omaha. All flights are currently suspended. Please check with your individual airline for flight status.
— Eppley Airfield (@OMAairport) January 18, 2019
Passengers on board the flight said the airport arranged to have the plane towed to the terminal.
And……we’ve slid off the runway! 😳
…leave it up to @SouthwestAir to keep things lighthearted and fun while we wait for the plane get to towed. #snow #omaha thx to the pilots and staff for keeping ya safe in this ice and snow mess! pic.twitter.com/BNGPdzKqaY
— Ali Schwanke (@alischwanke) January 18, 2019
Winter storm Harper began to descend on the Mid-West Friday morning. Omaha was forecast to receive freezing rain and light snow on Friday. Harper is predicted to strengthen as it moves to the East Coast into the weekend, with some parts of Maine forecast to receive more than three feet of snow.
US airlines have issued change fee waivers throughout the storm’s path, covering 74 airports throughout the Mid-West and East Coast.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list/
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.