China Building World’s Largest Indoor Ski and Snow Resort
Before my first visit to Ski Dubai, I thought an indoor ski resort sounded like a gimmick of mountainous proportions. Snow in the middle of a 115-degree desert, with a (very) expensive “chalet” overlooking the slopes? Nah, I’m not spending any hard-earned money on that. I’ve since visited two more times.
As it turns out, indoor skiing makes a lot of sense when it’s scorching hot outside, and, when done right, it can be quite a bit of fun. So I follow the “indoor ski” scene with perhaps a bit too much enthusiasm, from a 1.2-kilometer run coming soon to the UAE, to the new world’s largest indoor ski and snow complex, which recently broke ground just outside Shanghai.
Wintastar Shanghai‘s Ski & Snow Park will measure nearly one million square feet — 90,000 square meters, to be exact. Ski Dubai, by comparison, is just 22,500 square meters.
According to the developer, the complex will offer “a combination of three ski slopes of varying gradients including a slope of Olympic standard for training; ski runs, and over 25 snow play attractions for non-skiers.” An ice hotel is apparently also in the works, as are four themed hotels and a giant water park. Sounds like quite the all-season destination!
Sadly Wintastar isn’t committing to an opening date, though a project of this magnitude will surely take several years to complete.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees