Why this Canadian lounge opening matters for American travelers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Canadian carrier WestJet is going high class with its own lounge at Calgary International Airport, scheduled to open in late summer in 2020. It’s the airline’s first proprietary lounge, and the news matters to US flyers too, since this lounge opening also benefits Delta travelers.
WestJet is a partner of Delta, thanks to a partnership formally inked just a few months ago. While WestJet isn’t part of any alliance, the Delta-WestJet relationship means that northbound travelers will now have an additional lounge option in Calgary. And with WestJet now flying brand-new Boeing 787s across the Atlantic, it’s an interesting option to Europe for Delta flyers.
The lounge will be located near Concourse B in the domestic terminal at Calgary (YYC), and with food and drinks from local sources. The design aesthetic is rustic chic, with a number of contemporary elements mixed in with accents that channel refined “mountain living.”
Up until now, WestJet’s business travelers, top-tier WestJet Rewards members and premium cabin travelers from partner airlines have had access to WestJet’s network of partner lounges in Calgary and other major Canadian cities as well as in Europe and the Caribbean. But this proprietary flagship lounge in WestJet’s home airport signifies a big step in the airline’s growth.
WestJet has ordered 10 Boeing 787 Dreamliners, the first of which was delivered in January 2019. The aircraft offers a “very competitive” business class product between Canada and Europe, according to TPG Reviews Editor Nick Ellis.
Featured photo by CNW Group/WestJet.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees