The Battle for London: Which Middle East Carrier’s A380 Is Best in Economy?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Following the success of TPG UK’s four-class review of the same British Airways flight, the team set out on another mission to do another comparative review that would be useful for flyers. Since so many Brits (and Americans) fly the three major Middle East carriers (Emirates, Etihad and Qatar Airways) and their ideal geographical positioning to access Asia, India, Australia, Africa and more from Europe and North America, we figured it’d be logical to review each of the airlines on a flight from their respective hubs — Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Doha — to London. And the fact that they all operate the superjumbo Airbus A380 on these routes, it made the competition all the more appealing.
Since a lot of the team was already in the Middle East after their BA flight to Abu Dhabi (AUH), it was easy to fan out around the region to catch different airlines home. Since all the flights were in economy and on the same aircraft with the same 3-4-3 configuration, the stakes weren’t as high when deciding who would fly each airline. We settled on the following:
- Emirates A380 economy DXB-LHR: Jean Arnas, Head of Video
- Etihad A380 economy AUH-LHR: Nicky Kelvin, Director of Content
- Qatar A380 economy DOH-LHR: Daniel Ross, Content Producer
Which Middle East giant should get your business? Well, the short answer is that they’re all pretty good — even in coach. Check out the video below, though, to see which one edges out the competition.
Featured image by Nicky Kelvin, Daniel Ross and Jean Arnas / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.