Wells Fargo adds new deals program for credit and debit cardholders — how does it stack up?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: The Wells Fargo Propel American Express® card is no longer open to new applications. View the current offers here.
Wells Fargo has announced a new way for cardholders to earn cash back with its cards through its My Wells Fargo Deals.
The program operates similarly to Amex Offers, Chase Offers, and Bank of America’s BankAmeriDeals. Eligible debit and credit cardholders can go through their Wells Fargo account online or through the mobile app to view and activate deals from assorted merchants. According to the announcement press release from Wells Fargo, these offers are available based on a customer’s purchase history.
For more credit card news and advice, sign up for the TPG daily newsletter.
TPG Miles, Points and Deals intern Stella Shon logged into her account to check out which deals were available and was met with these offers:
If it looks like a familiar setup, it’s probably because the My Wells Fargo Deals portal is powered by Cardlytics, the same company that powers the Chase Offers portal. You’ll likely see some overlap with merchants and offers because of this.
Related reading: 4 Ways Credit Cards Can Save You Money on Purchases
Is this new benefit worthwhile?
I’m not going to say this is a groundbreaking addition to the Wells Fargo Go Far rewards program, but it does offer another way for cardholders — especially debit cardholders who may not be eligible for a credit card — to earn cash back where they otherwise may not have. The program is still in its infancy, and more merchants are likely to be added over time as Wells Fargo brings in unique deals.
Just looking at some of the offers that Stella shared with me from her card, there is potential for some solid rewards. Earning an additional 10% or even 20% back on eligible purchases isn’t insignificant, especially if you take advantage of these kinds of offers regularly. While the merchant list doesn’t seem that varied right now, the offers available for the merchants listed are worth activating if you were planning on shopping with them.
The program itself is easy to use, and additional rewards on purchases is never a bad thing. While it has a long way to go before it starts to truly rival the Amex Offers program, it’s certainly worth looking into if you have a Wells Fargo credit card or debit card.
As more consumers are focused on saving money and earning rewards on everyday purchases, it’s nice to see Wells Fargo jumping in with a new program to help customers achieve just that. And remember that just like Amex Offers, these offers should be stackable.
If you have a Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card, for example, you could theoretically earn credit card points, redeem a Wells Fargo offer, redeem an Amex Offer (since Wells Fargo Amex cards also have access to targeted Amex Offers) and earn rewards through a shopping portal all on one singular purchase if the stars align and a merchant is eligible for rewards through all four of those methods.
The information for the Well Fargo Propel American Express card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Featured photo by Pacific Press/LightRocket via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees