Is this the creepiest — or best — hotel welcome amenity ever?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you Google “hotel welcome amenity,” odds are that you’ll find a picture of a bottle of wine, along with some chocolates and a fruit plate.
Would your wedding photo come up in that search? Probably not.
Well, can you imagine my surprise when I walked into my room during a recent hotel stay at The Norman in Tel Aviv, Israel, only to find a wooden picture frame on a small table with my wedding photo inside?
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
At first, I was speechless. Maybe my wife asked the hotel to print it out, as far-fetched as that seemed.
Nope, she told me, when I called immediately after seeing the photo.
While the hotel never explicitly confirmed that they printed the wedding photo, the check-in agent who escorted me to my room told me that the hotel likes to keep tabs on who’s staying there.
Clearly, someone on the team had put all the pieces together, maybe saying to themselves, ‘Zach Griff happens to be a travel reporter with an active social media presence — and he also recently got married.’
‘What better way to personalize his stay than by printing out a picture of his wedding?’ someone must have thought.
Though I was initially creeped out, the surprise quickly wore off, and it didn’t bother me much for the rest of the stay. Perhaps the hotel thought my wife was coming along for the trip — not a bad assumption given that I inadvertently booked the room for two guests.
But it was clear that the hotel “knew” who I was — I was greeted by name during most interactions with the staff, and everyone was eager to lend a hand and ask how I was doing.
Either way, this welcome amenity has proven to be divisive.
In fact, I posted an Instagram story about the wedding photo and 72% of viewers thought that the welcome amenity was creepy.
After the stay, I took the photo home with me — I didn’t want it left inadvertently for the next guest — and asked my family around the Thanksgiving table their thoughts on the amenity.
Nearly everyone thought it was strange. After all, if the hotel is Googling me and printing my wedding photo, what else is the hotel doing when someone actually famous is staying there?
The few who considered it to be one of the best and cutest welcome gifts appreciated this level of personalization more than anything.
And regardless of how you feel, I now have another wedding photo on my desk — without going through the hoops to print or frame it myself.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees