We Tried the New Flyover That Will Help Relieve Traffic to LGA
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
LaGuardia is changing. The smallest and arguably most dilapidated of New York’s three airports is getting a huge, very expensive makeover with the first major results visible this fall. The airport is famously hard to reach using mass transit, something that will change in 2022, although not with a direct subway line but with an AirTrain from the subway, like at JFK.
On Thursday, a new flyover opened to get cars directly to terminals and to limit traffic.
According to ABC 7 New York, there are “nearly 18,000 vehicles traveling to LaGuardia daily,” and the flyover is anticipated to initially handle 20 percent of the airport’s total inbound traffic.”
Governor Andrew Cuomo himself seems pretty amped up about it, stating that, “This new flyover will bring immediate relief to travelers driving to LaGuardia Airport and is a key milestone in our plan to build the nation’s first new airport in more than 20 years and make it a world-class international gateway.” (It’s not really a new aiport, just rebuilt terminals, with easier access.)
“While the federal government pays lip service to infrastructure, New York is making historic strides in building a transportation network fit for the 21st century economy,” Gov. Cuomo said.
The entire airport modernization project was announced in 2015 and altogether costs a whopping $8 billion. So TPG set out to try the flyover on its openining day, and on its first morning at least it lived up to the claims.
The new flyover is off Exit 7 on the Grand Central Parkway coming from Manhattan.
It was a breeze. The Lyft driver said that without the new ramp, he would have had to circle around a couple times to get to Terminal C, where we were headed.
Of course, this is nowhere near even getting close to seeing the end of the LGA work. It will be a while, for example, before the brand new Delta terminal set to come in 2021.
All photos by the author.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees