Preview: Delta’s $4 Billion Makeover of LaGuardia Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
LaGuardia Airport (LGA) is finally getting a much-needed makeover — a $4 billion one, in fact — after once being compared to a “third world country” for its outdated facilities back in 2014 by former Vice President Joe Biden. New York Governor Andrew Cuomo and Ed Bastian, CEO of Delta, broke ground on the final phase of the massive project on Tuesday, with the airport transforming from a series of disjointed terminals to a single, unified facility.
Along with the announcement, the governor’s office released a compilation of new renderings for the project, which includes images of what the arrival and departure areas, baggage claims and restaurants will look like once completed.
The new LGA aims to provide travelers with state-of-the-art amenities and expanded public transportation — including a planned AirTrain.
Construction on the terminal began after the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey signed a new long-term lease with Delta.
Together, Delta is investing $3.4 billion — the airline’s largest investment in an airport — and the Port Authority is chipping in $600 million to rebuild the terminal and gate facilities located on the eastern half of the new LaGuardia space. This will be the first airport rebuild in the United States in more than 20 years.
“This is a historic day for Delta as we break ground on our state-of-the-art facility at LaGuardia Airport,” Bastian said. “This investment underscores our commitment to LaGuardia, to New York and to providing our customers and employees here and across the state with a world-class experience at one of our most important hubs.” Delta has about 275 daily departures at LaGuardia — more than any other airline.
Having served 29.8 million passengers in 2016, the airport will serve 50 million passengers annually once completed, according to Governor Cuomo.
The airport is expected to be fully completed by 2021, but the first set of new gates are scheduled to open by next year.
The trio of LaGuardia Airport (LGA), John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) and Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) combine to create the largest airport system in the United States.
What do you think of the new LaGuardia? Let us know in the comments, below.
Images courtesy of Governor Andrew Cuomo’s office
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees