You Can Watch the Northern Lights from a Private Jet in Canada
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Seeing the Northern Lights from the ground is a life-changing experience — but from the air? That’s taking things to an entirely new level.
One of the reasons seeing the Northern Lights can be so difficult is that the weather conditions required to actually observe them are extremely precise. Not only must it be completely dark — no sunlight or light pollution — but it must also be a cloud-free sky. And that can be harder to come by than you might think.
This is why aurora-hunting from an airplane is especially handy: In the company’s words, they can “remove the clouds so you can enjoy the lights.”
The trip will run between Feb. 7 and 11, 2019 and is open to 80 travelers. There are two different booking options: those looking just to take a Northern Lights flight will have to pay $1,045, while those looking for the full five-day experience will pay $2,939.
Those embarking on the full tour will also be treated to guest speakers, optional day tours and Yukon-inspired meals. The speakers include Phil Plait, The Bad Astronomer; Christa Van Laerhoven from the University of British Columbia; William Murtagh of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration; and Pierre Paquette of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada.
In short, if you’re obsessed with the Northern Lights, want to know everything there is to know about them and get excited about the thought of being surrounded by people equally as excited about astronomy, this is a trip you need to experience.
The tour will be led by award-winning Canadian photographer, Neil Zeller, who will be on-hand to help tour-takers capture the auroras from the Boeing 737.
On top of all of this, the Aurora 360 flights claim to be the first-ever to take off from the Aurora Oval — a region regarded as “the footprint in the atmosphere of the boundary between the highly stretched field lines of the polar cap and the more normal field lines at lower latitudes,” according to NASA.
For more information on this adventure and how to book your own seat, head over to the Consulta Meta.
Featured image by Lightscape/Unsplash.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees