You Can Watch the Northern Lights from a Private Jet in Canada
Seeing the Northern Lights from the ground is a life-changing experience — but from the air? That’s taking things to an entirely new level.
One of the reasons seeing the Northern Lights can be so difficult is that the weather conditions required to actually observe them are extremely precise. Not only must it be completely dark — no sunlight or light pollution — but it must also be a cloud-free sky. And that can be harder to come by than you might think.
This is why aurora-hunting from an airplane is especially handy: In the company’s words, they can “remove the clouds so you can enjoy the lights.”
The trip will run between Feb. 7 and 11, 2019 and is open to 80 travelers. There are two different booking options: those looking just to take a Northern Lights flight will have to pay $1,045, while those looking for the full five-day experience will pay $2,939.
Those embarking on the full tour will also be treated to guest speakers, optional day tours and Yukon-inspired meals. The speakers include Phil Plait, The Bad Astronomer; Christa Van Laerhoven from the University of British Columbia; William Murtagh of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration; and Pierre Paquette of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada.
In short, if you’re obsessed with the Northern Lights, want to know everything there is to know about them and get excited about the thought of being surrounded by people equally as excited about astronomy, this is a trip you need to experience.
The tour will be led by award-winning Canadian photographer, Neil Zeller, who will be on-hand to help tour-takers capture the auroras from the Boeing 737.
On top of all of this, the Aurora 360 flights claim to be the first-ever to take off from the Aurora Oval — a region regarded as “the footprint in the atmosphere of the boundary between the highly stretched field lines of the polar cap and the more normal field lines at lower latitudes,” according to NASA.
For more information on this adventure and how to book your own seat, head over to the Consulta Meta.
Featured image by Lightscape/Unsplash.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.