You Can Go on a 24-Hour Hunt for the Northern Lights in Norway
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s safe to say Svalbard isn’t the most popular of vacation destinations — it could have something to do with the fact that polar bears outnumber residents or its freezing temperatures. But it’s an incredible place for travelers interested in dark skies, and the place to go if you want one of the best Northern Lights shows in the world.
That’s why luxury travel company Off the Map Travel has developed a 24-hour tour called All Day Aurora that gives travelers a great chance to experience the aurora. Available from November through January, this tour takes place during a season that sees dark skies 24 hours of the day. But you won’t just be standing around waiting for the Northern Lights to show up.
During the aurora hunt, visitors will snowshoe to nearby ice caves, learn how to dogsled and ride on Snowcats. While resting up for the remainder of the search, guests will stay at the Funken Lodge, which just completed a substantial renovation in 2018.
Svalbard’s location at 78-degrees North means that, during the winter, the sun remains at least six degrees below the horizon at all times. “To have the best chance of seeing [the Northern Lights], you need a setting without any light pollution and you will more than double your chances of getting that when the sun never rises above the horizon,” said Jonny Cooper, Off the Map Travel founder and Arctic travel expert.
Despite its name, this 24-hour Northern Lights hunt actually takes place over the span of four days. That’s close to 100 hours of twilight and utter darkness during which your odds of spotting the shimmering auroras are pretty high. On the first day of the tour, travelers arrive and settle into the hotel. On the second day, they embark on a dog-sledding adventure. Day three is dedicated to snowshoeing, and the final day ends with a Snowcat ride.
Prices for this experience start around $1,600 per person (not including flights). Into it? You can read more about the All Day Aurora tour and how to book your own vacation on the Off the Map Travel website.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees