Want an On-Time Arrival? Book With a Regional Airline
If you are looking to increase your odds of arriving at your destination on time, you might want to consider booking with a regional airline instead of a mainline carrier.
That is what new data from the US Department of Transportation shows. The preliminary DOT report, released Tuesday, included regional carriers for the first time. And a handful of these small but mighty airlines showed up their major carrier counterparts when it came to on-time arrivals.
Specifically in July, four US regional carriers — SkyWest, Endeavor Air, ExpressJet and Republic Airlines — all had better on-time percentages than massive industry players American, United, JetBlue and Southwest. (However, the actual flights of those regional players are in the colors and under the flight numbers of the majors, such as American, United and Delta.)
In fact, SkyWest, which is the largest, was ranked fourth overall among US carriers for on-time flights. Its flights are on-time 80.4% of the time. Endeavor followed in the fifth overall spot, with a 77.5% on-time rate. ExpressJet closely trailed at No. 6, with its flight on time 77.2% of the time, and Republic scooped up the No. 7 slot with an on-time rate of 75.2%.
American and JetBlue were the lowest-ranking of the major airlines, with JetBlue barely edging out ultra-low-cost Allegiant, with 67.2% and 67% on-time rates, respectively.
Regional carriers, dubbed “branded codeshare partners” by DOT, are a huge swath of the commercial aviation industry. They transport roughly a quarter of all US airline passengers every year. And in 2018, more than half of domestic flights were taken on regional carriers.
Here is the full on-time arrivals ranking, based on DOT’s preliminary data for July:
- Hawaiian: 92.6% on time
- Delta: 83.4% on time
- Alaska: 82.9%
- SkyWest: 80.4%
- Endeavor: 77.5%
- ExpressJet: 77.2%
- Republic: 75.6%
- United: 75.1%
- Mesa: 74.7%
- Southwest: 74.5%
- Envoy: 74.3%
- PSA: 74.0%
- Spirit: 73.6%
- American: 70.0%
- JetBlue: 67.2%
- Allegiant: 67.0%
- Frontier: 59.7%
Featured image of an Embraer 145 regional jet courtesy of United Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees