Visiting a national park this summer? Better plan ahead
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
National parks remain an incredibly popular travel option. Being stuck at home, indoors for much of the past 20 months certainly has contributed to the demand for a trip to enjoy the great outdoors. That popularity, however, means big crowds during peak travel season, namely summer, which is why some people have started waking up before the sun comes up to get an early start at parks like Arches National Park in Utah. The immense popularity is forcing parks officials to take steps to manage attendance at America’s parks.
Want more TPG travel news delivered each morning to your inbox? Sign up for our daily newsletter
Glacier National Park in Montana has already announced plans to resume its timed tickets system once again in summer 2022 for visitors wanting to experience its famous Going-to-the-Sun Road. That 50-mile stretch of road that crosses the Continental Divide in the Rocky Mountains, arguably the most scenic highway in the U.S., is one of the most popular aspects of Glacier.
You will need a reservation to enjoy the sweeping vistas and outlooks along the road between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. each day from May 27 through Sept.11. That time of day is usually when the park is at its busiest. If you’re considering a trip to Glacier, tickets are expected to go on sale in March. Be sure to add a reminder to your calendar to make sure you don’t lose a chance to enjoy that jaw-dropping drive. As TPG has written before, demand far outweighs demand for all the activities available in Glacier National Park, so book well in advance to avoid disappointment.
We do want to note that entry will be available without tickets outside of that peak time period, but the full details about that have not been released as of yet.
One important change to 2022 tickets is that they will be valid for only three days instead of seven. Parks officials did this with the hope that it will give more people the chance to experience Going-to-the-Sun Road’s winding cliffside road and those unforgettable views.
If you’re wondering how much time to allow for the drive, the Parks Service says it’s possible to do the entire drive in about two hours if you don’t stop. However, what’s the point of that? Assume you’ll make a few stops to take in the incredible sights and some nice photos for the ‘Gram, so budget around four hours to do the entire drive.
Featured image: Noppawat Tom Charoensinphon/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees