Hey, Mouthbreather: You Can Visit the Real ‘Stranger Things’ Set in Atlanta
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re in a funk after binge-watching the latest season of “Stranger Things” on Netflix, we have some good news: And it’s better than having a triple-decker Eggo extravaganza.
According to Lonely Planet, tour and activity specialist Civitatis has launched a new “Stranger Things” set tour of filming locations that will bring the fictional Hawkins, Indiana, to life. During the four-hour-long tour, you can visit nearly all of the settings where your favorite characters fought scary Demogorgons, evil scientists, high school bullies and yes, the Soviet Union.
The set and tour are located in Atlanta, Georgia, where the majority of the show is filmed. Tickets for the tour cost $150 per person, and include a coach bus that will pick you up directly at your hotel and bring you straight to the Hawkins Laboratory. Fun fact: The lab is actually a building on Emory University’s Briarcliff campus.
The tour continues from there, stopping at other iconic “Stranger Things” locations, including Melvald’s General Store, an old-school Radioshack (RIP), Hawkins Middle School, Hawk Cinema, the library and more. The tour will even bring guests to places that Eleven hides during the second season. Guests are encouraged to take pictures and learn about the filming process for the hit Netflix series.
Perhaps the most exciting stop on the tour is the Starcourt Mall, which can be found in the semi-abandoned Gwinnett Place Mall in Duluth. Unsurprisingly, the mall now has acquired something of a cult following since its on-screen debut — which sounds just like the sort of thing the show’s creators, the Duffer Brothers, would have wanted.
In addition to private transportation, the tour includes an English-speaking guide. You can purchases your tickets here.
If you want to really take a trip to the Upside Down (read: Atlanta), getting there is pretty easy. Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International (ATL) is the largest airport in the world, not to mention a hub for Delta Air Lines, so you’ll have plenty of options no matter what airline you choose. Of course, if you fly Delta frequently, we recommend making sure one of these cards is in your wallet first to get the most out of your trip.
In the words of our good friend Dustin Henderson, “Why are you keeping this curiosity door locked?” Go get your tickets, and we’ll see you in Hawkins.
Feature image courtesy of Civitatis.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees