Millions of Americans can now visit Maine without a quarantine or test
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Maine was gearing up to have one of its slowest summers to date, with a mandatory 14-day quarantine discouraging out-of-state visitors, including those from a next-door neighbor with few coronavirus cases, Vermont.
With an abundance of deals following the Maine governor’s earlier order, I booked an Airbnb near Acadia National Park for the entire month of August. My plan was to quarantine for the requisite 14 days, then enjoy life on an unseasonably quiet Mount Desert Island for the second half of the month.
Then, in June, the governor announced a new plan, allowing out-of-state visitors to bypass the quarantine, as long as they arrived bearing a negative COVID-19 test, taken within the last 72 hours. That’s a tall order for many Americans, though, and, thankfully, it’s no longer required for visitors from three more states with low numbers of new coronavirus cases — effective today, July 3.
Travelers coming from extended stays in New Hampshire and Vermont were previously exempt from a quarantine or test, and now visitors from Connecticut, New Jersey and New York have a waiver, too. Notably, the order excludes Massachusetts and Rhode Island, two other New England states, though they could be added later, should rates improve.
As for visitors from other states? The 72-hour count is based on your arrival time in Maine — you could take the test within that period, then quarantine for a day or two until your negative results arrive, if they’re not available in time.
And, if you’re headed somewhere else, don’t miss our state-by-state guide to coronavirus reopening for more on what to expect across the U.S.
Featured photo by Joe Klementovich/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees