Bubbly, please: You can order Champagne anywhere onboard this cruise by shaking your phone
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Virgin Voyages is pulling out all the stops to create the “anti-cruise” — unique entertainment, fun fitness classes, a swath of dining options … and Champagne deliveries?
For cruise news, reviews and tips, sign up for TPG’s cruise newsletter.
Onboard the ship, you can order a bottle of Champagne to be delivered wherever you’re hanging out. All you have to do is open your Virgin Voyages app, shake your phone and press a button. It does cost a steep $95, but you do get a full bottle of chilled bubbly to enjoy at your leisure.
Of course, TPG had to test out this feature to see if it was worth all of the hype.
After a late-night show, we settled down in one of the empty seating areas in the middle of the ship. I shook my phone until the sound of a bottle of Champagne popping erupted and golden bubbles took over my screen.
A confirmation popped up: “Feelin’ bubbly? Summon Champagne.” With a button to push to confirm your order.
The process was seamless (and pretty fun, I’m not going to lie). And it only took 11 minutes for a wonderful crewmember named Jay to arrive with an iced bottle of Moët Chandon Impérial Champagne and flutes. For $95, I would have expected maybe a little quicker service, but it wasn’t a long wait by any means.
Because I ordered through the app, the charge was automatically applied to my account.
If you accidentally butt dial bottle service, don’t panic. There is a confirmation screen with a button you’ll have to push to confirm your order. And even once your order is in, there’s an “I changed my mind” link at the bottom of the screen.
Our verdict: Is it worth it?
Is this bottle service worth the $95 price tag? My vote is no.
It’s a charming gimmick, but I can get a bottle of Moët for $42.97 back home. Doubling that price tag just to have someone bring it to you somewhere on the ship is a bit absurd.
Was the process fun? Yes. Was the Champagne delicious? Also yes. Would I ever do it again? Definitely not.
Featured photo by Gene Sloan/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees