Bubbly, please: You can order Champagne anywhere onboard this cruise by shaking your phone
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Virgin Voyages is pulling out all the stops to create the “anti-cruise” — unique entertainment, fun fitness classes, a swath of dining options … and Champagne deliveries?
For cruise news, reviews and tips, sign up for TPG’s cruise newsletter.
Onboard the ship, you can order a bottle of Champagne to be delivered wherever you’re hanging out. All you have to do is open your Virgin Voyages app, shake your phone and press a button. It does cost a steep $95, but you do get a full bottle of chilled bubbly to enjoy at your leisure.
Of course, TPG had to test out this feature to see if it was worth all of the hype.
After a late-night show, we settled down in one of the empty seating areas in the middle of the ship. I shook my phone until the sound of a bottle of Champagne popping erupted and golden bubbles took over my screen.
A confirmation popped up: “Feelin’ bubbly? Summon Champagne.” With a button to push to confirm your order.
The process was seamless (and pretty fun, I’m not going to lie). And it only took 11 minutes for a wonderful crewmember named Jay to arrive with an iced bottle of Moët Chandon Impérial Champagne and flutes. For $95, I would have expected maybe a little quicker service, but it wasn’t a long wait by any means.
Because I ordered through the app, the charge was automatically applied to my account.
If you accidentally butt dial bottle service, don’t panic. There is a confirmation screen with a button you’ll have to push to confirm your order. And even once your order is in, there’s an “I changed my mind” link at the bottom of the screen.
Our verdict: Is it worth it?
Is this bottle service worth the $95 price tag? My vote is no.
It’s a charming gimmick, but I can get a bottle of Moët for $42.97 back home. Doubling that price tag just to have someone bring it to you somewhere on the ship is a bit absurd.
Was the process fun? Yes. Was the Champagne delicious? Also yes. Would I ever do it again? Definitely not.
Featured photo by Gene Sloan/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.