Virgin continues Florida takeover with plans for new Miami hotel
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Sir Richard Branson’s Virgin brand is no stranger to Florida, and the company is continuing its focus on the area with a new Virgin Hotel in Miami, according to the Sun Sentinel.
Virgin currently offers travelers in the area options for air travel, train travel and even a new cruise line based in the region. The newest endeavor will be a Virgin Hotel in Miami’s Brickell financial district. The hotel is slated to open in 2023.
Virgin wants to be a one-stop travel retailer for its customers: air travel, high-speed train travel, cruises and hotels. A spokesperson for Virgin told the paper, “Once we have a Virgin hotel in place in Miami, Virgin Atlantic, Virgin Holidays, Virgin Trains and Virgin Voyages will all be working to integrate and promote trips to Florida.”
In 2018, Branson acquired a stake in Brightline, the existing passenger train that serves Miami, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. He is working on rebranding it as Virgin Trains and promised to extend the route to Orlando and Tampa.
Virgin Atlantic, on the other hand, flies to both Orlando and Miami, which is also the home port for its newest venture: cruise ships. The Scarlet Lady is slated to set sail on her maiden voyage next year.
This latest move from the company makes it clear that Virgin plans to stay focused on Florida for many years to come. The good news for travelers, hopefully, will be the opportunity to book packages with Virgin, allowing customers to bundle travel under the same brand.
Companies have tried this type of vertical travel integration before: For years Pan Am owned and operated the Intercontinental brand of hotels, until it was sold to help keep the airline solvent. Hopefully, Virgin’s venture will be more successful.
Featured Photo by Vincenzo Lombardo/Getty Images for VIRGIN VOYAGES
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees