This cruise line is giving away 1,000 free sailings; here’s how to enter
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Contests aren’t unusual in the cruise realm, but relative newcomer Virgin Voyages is giving away an impressive number of free cabins — 1,000, to be exact — for sailings this fall as part of its “JLo’s Epic 1,000 Virgin Voyages Giveaway.”
Songstress and actor Jennifer Lopez, the brand’s “chief entertainment and lifestyle officer,” has attached her name to the sweepstakes, which runs through June 29, 2022.
Winners will each receive a balcony cabin on their choice of either Scarlet Lady, departing from Miami, or Valiant Lady, sailing from Barcelona.
So, what’s the catch? If you win, you have to claim your prize and embark on your sailing between July and October of this year. The good news is that you’ll get to bring a friend, free of charge, but you’ll both have to pay for your own airfare and any pre- or post-cruise hotel accommodations, as those aren’t included in the prize.
For more cruise news, reviews and tips, sign up for TPG’s cruise newsletter.
You can enter by taking a quiz on Virgin Voyages’ website. Adults (21 and older) who are legal residents of the United States (including Washington D.C. and Puerto Rico), Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, Mexico, Germany and Spain are eligible.
This isn’t the first time Virgin Voyages has run such a contest. In early 2021, Virgin’s Shipload of Love sweepstakes encouraged people to nominate, via video entry, someone in need of a vacation for a chance to win one of 1,000 cruises.
This contest fits in with a recent trend of cruise lines announcing extra deals and incentives to entice potential passengers onto their ships. As part of this longer-than-usual wave season, Virgin Voyages has also been sending out e-mail promotions for cruise discounts of up to 40%, plus bonus drink credits when initial drink credits are purchased.
The slashing of fares and availability of cabins throughout the first half of the year is indicative of travelers’ current reluctance to commit to future vacation plans across cruise lines.
Cruise line executives believe cruising will return to normal in 2023. Yet at the industry’s annual conference in April, they admitted that 2022 bookings have been soft so far, with cruisers opting to wait until the last minute to make reservations.
Perhaps winning a free sailing on Scarlet Lady or Valiant Lady will help change travelers’ minds.
Featured photo courtesy of Virgin Voyages.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees