Virgin Atlantic Gives Snacks to Flyers Waiting in LHR Misery
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The airline has 23 international flights arrive at LHR each day. The airline says it has seen the number of US passengers increase by 20%. Virgin Atlantic hopes its “Greet and Treat” trolly will extend a “warm welcome” as passengers wait in the two-hour immigration queues, however, passengers are still expressing their frustrations.
Perhaps queues could be reduced if the UK were to introduce Global Entry in the same way as the USA, maybe even simply extend the US Global Entry / known traveler scheme to LHR and Gatwick
— Grant Burst (@Grant_Burst) August 13, 2018
2hr 38 isn’t that bad for immigration how about reducing the delays of your flights instead?
— shelley herniman (@insanemum1) August 13, 2018
The UK Border Force has a Service Level Agreement (SLA) to process at least 95% of passengers visiting from outside the EU through immigration within 45 minutes — only one day in July met this target. So far, the longest wait time non-EU passengers have experienced has been two hours and 38 minutes, according to Virgin Atlantic.
Virgin’s Cheif Executive Officer Craig Kreeger said the airline is doing what it can to help its passengers, but ultimately it’s up to the UK Border Force to solve this issue.
“We all agree that security and safety at our airports is vital and remains our top priority, but other countries are managing their borders more effectively,” Kreeger said in a recent blog post. “At a time when the UK needs to show the world it is open for business, the Government and Border Force need to provide a great first impression, for every visitor, every time.”
Heathrow receives nearly 80 million passengers annually, and 94% are internaitonal travalers, according to the airports 2017 statistics. These numbers are only going to increase once Heathrow’s third runway is complete, which means if the UK Border Force doesn’t figure out a way to speed up this process, these wait times will continue to worsen.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees