Virgin Atlantic Gives Snacks to Flyers Waiting in LHR Misery
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The airline has 23 international flights arrive at LHR each day. The airline says it has seen the number of US passengers increase by 20%. Virgin Atlantic hopes its “Greet and Treat” trolly will extend a “warm welcome” as passengers wait in the two-hour immigration queues, however, passengers are still expressing their frustrations.
Perhaps queues could be reduced if the UK were to introduce Global Entry in the same way as the USA, maybe even simply extend the US Global Entry / known traveler scheme to LHR and Gatwick
— Grant Burst (@Grant_Burst) August 13, 2018
2hr 38 isn’t that bad for immigration how about reducing the delays of your flights instead?
— shelley herniman (@insanemum1) August 13, 2018
The UK Border Force has a Service Level Agreement (SLA) to process at least 95% of passengers visiting from outside the EU through immigration within 45 minutes — only one day in July met this target. So far, the longest wait time non-EU passengers have experienced has been two hours and 38 minutes, according to Virgin Atlantic.
Virgin’s Cheif Executive Officer Craig Kreeger said the airline is doing what it can to help its passengers, but ultimately it’s up to the UK Border Force to solve this issue.
“We all agree that security and safety at our airports is vital and remains our top priority, but other countries are managing their borders more effectively,” Kreeger said in a recent blog post. “At a time when the UK needs to show the world it is open for business, the Government and Border Force need to provide a great first impression, for every visitor, every time.”
Heathrow receives nearly 80 million passengers annually, and 94% are internaitonal travalers, according to the airports 2017 statistics. These numbers are only going to increase once Heathrow’s third runway is complete, which means if the UK Border Force doesn’t figure out a way to speed up this process, these wait times will continue to worsen.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.