Virgin Atlantic is extending elite status and vouchers by another 6 months
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This story has been updated with the latest information.
On Tuesday, Sept. 7, Virgin announced it’s giving elite members more time to maintain their status, as well as extending the expiration dates on some benefits.
Virgin is extending the status for Gold and Silver members by six additional months. While the number of Tier Points needed is staying the same — 1,000 for Gold and 400 for Silver — members will get an additional six months added to their membership year to meet the requirements for an additional year of status.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Throughout 2020 and 2021, Virgin has now extended members’ elite status five separate times, giving travelers a total of two extra years to maintain their tier status.
While Flying Club isn’t sending out new physical membership cards with the new status expiration date, Virgin will offer a digital membership card online and via the airline’s app.
Members can log in to their Flying Club account to see how many Tier Points they’ve earned and the new end date for their membership year online or on the app.
“With travel to the U.S. still facing restrictions, we wanted to offer continued flexibility as our customers make plans to travel in 2021 and beyond,” said Siobhan Fitzpatrick, Virgin Atlantic’s chief digital and marketing officer, in a statement accompanying the announcement. “I’m delighted we can continue to offer our customers reassurance and flexibility with a further six-month status extension.”
In addition to extending status and requalification periods for elites, Flying Club is also extending the validity for some benefits. For all members, regardless of status, Virgin is extending the validity of the following rewards an extra six months:
- Companion vouchers have been extended
- Upgrade vouchers have been extended
- Clubhouse vouchers have been extended
All new expiration dates will show in members’ Flying Club accounts soon. You will not need to call Virgin to update your status or extend your reward benefit, as it will be automatically done. Virgin Atlantic has also extended its rebooking window to April 30, 2023.
Featured photo by Nicky Kelvin/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees