Virgin Atlantic Adding Carrier Surcharges to Delta-Operated Award Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Thankfully, the fuel surcharges shown below disappeared after a couple of days. We reached out to Virgin Atlantic to make sense of the switcheroo, and the airline provided us with the following comment: “Virgin Atlantic has not made any changes to pricing. We have replicated the routes and cabins which were included in the article and could not replicate the information.”
We’re hoping it’s yet another IT glitch, or just a temporary mishap, but those who have attempted to book Delta-operated flights via Virgin Atlantic’s Flying Club today are being greeted with grotesque fuel surcharges.
While the program has long tacked on outrageously high surcharges for Delta-operated flights to and from the United Kingdom, flights outside of the UK have historically not had the pesky fees added on.
Just two months back, we showcased how savvy award planners could use the Flying Club program to snag a one-way ticket between Minneapolis (MSP) and Tokyo (HND) aboard a retrofitted Delta 777 with Delta One Suites for just 60,000 Flying Club miles and $5.60.
Today, that exact same search shows availability at the 60,000-mile mark, but the associated fees have ballooned to $152.90, representing a staggering 2,630% increase.
We’re also seeing egregious fees on other business class fares for Delta-operated flights, including a $526.90 surcharge atop 50,000 Flying Club miles to fly one-way from Detroit (DTW) to Amsterdam (AMS) onboard an Airbus A330-300.
Here’s a breakdown of the fare above, clearly showing that the vast majority of the $526.90 in fees is attributed to “Carrier Imposed Surcharges.”
The fees look to be showing up across the entire award calendar. Below is what we’re seeing when searching more widely across Flying Club for Delta-operated business class seats between Detroit (DTW) and Amsterdam (AMS) in early 2019.
Other editors at TPG (as well as several tipsters who have written to us) are finding similarly inflated surcharges to other destinations that had been free of them prior, such as Milan (MXP) and Dublin (DUB).
Now, Virgin’s IT is not the best and we’ve seen hiccups before, so it’s possible this is a temporary phenomenon, or it could be real. We’re keeping our fingers crossed that these surcharges will vanish as quickly as they appeared, but we’ve reached out to Virgin Atlantic for comment. Should the surcharges become permanent (as so happened with ANA in August), it will certainly impact our overall impressions of the Flying Club program as a way to score affordable Delta award seats.
Featured image by the author.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.