Virgin Atlantic Adding Carrier Surcharges to Delta-Operated Award Flights
Update: Thankfully, the fuel surcharges shown below disappeared after a couple of days. We reached out to Virgin Atlantic to make sense of the switcheroo, and the airline provided us with the following comment: “Virgin Atlantic has not made any changes to pricing. We have replicated the routes and cabins which were included in the article and could not replicate the information.”
We’re hoping it’s yet another IT glitch, or just a temporary mishap, but those who have attempted to book Delta-operated flights via Virgin Atlantic’s Flying Club today are being greeted with grotesque fuel surcharges.
While the program has long tacked on outrageously high surcharges for Delta-operated flights to and from the United Kingdom, flights outside of the UK have historically not had the pesky fees added on.
Just two months back, we showcased how savvy award planners could use the Flying Club program to snag a one-way ticket between Minneapolis (MSP) and Tokyo (HND) aboard a retrofitted Delta 777 with Delta One Suites for just 60,000 Flying Club miles and $5.60.
Today, that exact same search shows availability at the 60,000-mile mark, but the associated fees have ballooned to $152.90, representing a staggering 2,630% increase.
We’re also seeing egregious fees on other business class fares for Delta-operated flights, including a $526.90 surcharge atop 50,000 Flying Club miles to fly one-way from Detroit (DTW) to Amsterdam (AMS) onboard an Airbus A330-300.
Here’s a breakdown of the fare above, clearly showing that the vast majority of the $526.90 in fees is attributed to “Carrier Imposed Surcharges.”
The fees look to be showing up across the entire award calendar. Below is what we’re seeing when searching more widely across Flying Club for Delta-operated business class seats between Detroit (DTW) and Amsterdam (AMS) in early 2019.
Other editors at TPG (as well as several tipsters who have written to us) are finding similarly inflated surcharges to other destinations that had been free of them prior, such as Milan (MXP) and Dublin (DUB).
Now, Virgin’s IT is not the best and we’ve seen hiccups before, so it’s possible this is a temporary phenomenon, or it could be real. We’re keeping our fingers crossed that these surcharges will vanish as quickly as they appeared, but we’ve reached out to Virgin Atlantic for comment. Should the surcharges become permanent (as so happened with ANA in August), it will certainly impact our overall impressions of the Flying Club program as a way to score affordable Delta award seats.
Featured image by the author.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees