Virgin Atlantic Fuel Surcharges on Delta-Operated Flights Are Gone
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
That sound you hear? The collective sigh of relief from points aficionados who appreciate the ability to book (relatively) affordable Delta award tickets via Virgin Atlantic’s Flying Club. Earlier this week, several editors at TPG noticed something odd when searching for award tickets via Flying Club. For a couple of days, Delta-operated award tickets were tacking on stratospheric fuel surcharges on routes not involving the United Kingdom.
Flying Club has included lofty surcharges for Delta-operated flights to and from the UK for years now, but flights to other regions have historically not been dinged. When we fired up the Flying Club award search portal this morning, we noticed that the fuel surcharges had once again vanished. Routes like Detroit to Amsterdam and Minneapolis to Tokyo were back to normal, displaying just $5.60 in total taxes and fees for saver-level nonstop award tickets.
We reached out to Virgin Atlantic to make sense of the switcheroo, and the airline provided us with the following comment: “Virgin Atlantic has not made any changes to pricing. We have replicated the routes and cabins which were included in the article and could not replicate the information.”
It seems to boil down to yet another IT glitch, which certainly trumps an unannounced policy change that would completely alter the value of using Flying Club to book Delta award seats going forward. For now, at least, it appears that there’s no cause for alarm.
Featured image by Darren Murph / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.