Virgin Atlantic Fuel Surcharges on Delta-Operated Flights Are Gone
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
That sound you hear? The collective sigh of relief from points aficionados who appreciate the ability to book (relatively) affordable Delta award tickets via Virgin Atlantic’s Flying Club. Earlier this week, several editors at TPG noticed something odd when searching for award tickets via Flying Club. For a couple of days, Delta-operated award tickets were tacking on stratospheric fuel surcharges on routes not involving the United Kingdom.
Flying Club has included lofty surcharges for Delta-operated flights to and from the UK for years now, but flights to other regions have historically not been dinged. When we fired up the Flying Club award search portal this morning, we noticed that the fuel surcharges had once again vanished. Routes like Detroit to Amsterdam and Minneapolis to Tokyo were back to normal, displaying just $5.60 in total taxes and fees for saver-level nonstop award tickets.
We reached out to Virgin Atlantic to make sense of the switcheroo, and the airline provided us with the following comment: “Virgin Atlantic has not made any changes to pricing. We have replicated the routes and cabins which were included in the article and could not replicate the information.”
It seems to boil down to yet another IT glitch, which certainly trumps an unannounced policy change that would completely alter the value of using Flying Club to book Delta award seats going forward. For now, at least, it appears that there’s no cause for alarm.
Featured image by Darren Murph / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees