This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
That sound you hear? The collective sigh of relief from points aficionados who appreciate the ability to book (relatively) affordable Delta award tickets via Virgin Atlantic’s Flying Club. Earlier this week, several editors at TPG noticed something odd when searching for award tickets via Flying Club. For a couple of days, Delta-operated award tickets were tacking on stratospheric fuel surcharges on routes not involving the United Kingdom.
Flying Club has included lofty surcharges for Delta-operated flights to and from the UK for years now, but flights to other regions have historically not been dinged. When we fired up the Flying Club award search portal this morning, we noticed that the fuel surcharges had once again vanished. Routes like Detroit to Amsterdam and Minneapolis to Tokyo were back to normal, displaying just $5.60 in total taxes and fees for saver-level nonstop award tickets.
We reached out to Virgin Atlantic to make sense of the switcheroo, and the airline provided us with the following comment: “Virgin Atlantic has not made any changes to pricing. We have replicated the routes and cabins which were included in the article and could not replicate the information.”
It seems to boil down to yet another IT glitch, which certainly trumps an unannounced policy change that would completely alter the value of using Flying Club to book Delta award seats going forward. For now, at least, it appears that there’s no cause for alarm.
Featured image by Darren Murph / The Points Guy.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees