ANA Increases Fuel Surcharges Overnight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Changes to frequent flyer programs are typically never good. And they’re even worse when they happen with no notice to members. Well, unfortunately, ANA did just that last night with its Mileage Club program.
As of August 1, award tickets on ANA metal incur higher carrier-imposed surcharges. The reason? Increasing fuel costs.
Up until July 31, awards from North American to Japan incurred $86 in fuel charges each way.
Now, they’ll run you $129 each way. And awards between North America and Japan aren’t the only ones seeing a jump in surcharges — they increased across ANA’s network.
This definitely hurts, especially because ANA’s carrier-imposed surcharges were already hefty before these changes. That said, ANA still charges fewer miles than its partners for awards to Japan. For instance, while a round-trip ANA ticket between the US and Japan in economy will set you back 70,000 United miles, it’ll only cost you 50,000 ANA miles.
On the flip side, ANA charges about $340 in taxes and fees, while United only charges about $45 for the same award, so it’s up to you to decide whether you’d rather spend fewer miles or pay less out of pocket.
There is a way to lower the fuel surcharges when booking through ANA, though. One stopover, other than your destination, may be made on flights departing from overseas, and by doing so, you’ll often pay less in surcharges. Although it varies based on the destination, when adding a stopover in Singapore (SIN), we were able to wipe out the fuel surcharges completely (the $132 is for taxes and other fees).
Although this change came without any notice, this isn’t the first time ANA’s adjusted its fuel surcharges based on fluctuating oil prices. For instance, the carrier reduced the charges in 2016 based on the declining price of oil. As of now, ANA’s website says that the prices are in effect through September 30, 2018, but it’s unclear what will happen after that date. After all, American Airlines CEO Doug Parker has hinted several times that consumers should prepare for higher airfare as airlines deal with increasing fuel costs.
As a reminder, ANA’s program is a 1:1 transfer partner of American Express Membership Rewards. For a limited time, Amex cardholders can also score incredible ANA redemptions by maximizing the 30% transfer bonus to Virgin Atlantic Flying Club, though the higher fuel surcharges will still apply.
Featured image by Zach Honig / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber Cash annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, earn 10x points on eligible purchases on the Card at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small in the U.S., on up to $25,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- $200 Hotel Credit: Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings with American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 in statement credits each month when you pay for eligible purchases with the Platinum Card® at your choice of one or more of the following providers: Peacock, Audible, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- New! American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. Now there are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on select Equinox memberships. Enrollment required.
- $179 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $179 back per year on your CLEAR® membership.
- $695 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees