Virgin Atlantic Announces First Airbus A350 Route
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The first route for Virgin Atlantic’s newest aircraft, the Airbus A350-1000, has been announced. Beginning in September, Virgin Atlantic will operate the Airbus A350 between its hub at London-Heathrow (LHR) and New York-JFK. Passengers looking to fly onboard Virgin Atlantic’s Airbus A350, which features the airline’s swanky new Upper Class Suites, can book flights operated by the aircraft effective immediately.
Virgin Atlantic’s Airbus A350-1000 is the airline’s latest aircraft type to join the fleet. Each A350 will feature 335 seats, 44 Upper Class (semi) Suites, 56 premium economy seats, and 235 standard economy class seats. The Airbus A350-1000 will replace the airline’s aging Airbus A340s and Boeing 747s.
The Airbus A350 will also be the first Virgin Atlantic aircraft to feature the airline’s latest Upper Class business class product and updated premium and standard economy class seats. While Virgin Atlantic calls its latest Upper Class seats “suites,” the TPG team found that the new seat falls short of an actual suite. However, the new Upper Class product is a significant improvement over current variations of the seat.
For passengers looking to experience Virgin Atlantic’s newest aircraft, the Airbus A350 will make its debut on flights between London-Heathrow (LHR) and New York-JFK starting September 24. Tickets for the first Airbus A350 flights are on sale now.
|Dates||Route||Departure & Arrival Times|
|September 10 to September 24, 2019||
|Effective September 25||
Booking The First Virgin Atlantic Airbus A350 Flights
The first Airbus A350 flights from New York and London are currently available from $377 round-trip in economy light, Virgin Atlantic’s basic economy fare. At that price, passengers will be guaranteed a carry-on bag and a seat aboard the aircraft. Seat selection and checked luggage are available for an additional fee.
For passengers looking to experience Virgin Atlantic’s updated premium cabins, round-trip fares aboard the first flights start at $1,239 in premium economy and $3,873 in the airline’s new Upper Class Suites.
Award bookings do not appear to be possible at the moment. Neither Delta Air Lines nor Virgin Atlantic’s site lists flights VS153, VS138, or VS137. However, should travelers be willing to forgo the Airbus A350 experience, both airlines are offering relatively inexpensive award flights this fall between New York City and London.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image courtesy of Virgin Atlantic
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.