This Village Made Entirely of Ice Is the Ultimate Winter Wonderland
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Forget everything you knew about tropical island getaways and pack your heaviest parka. Japan’s Hokkaido Island is setting up a “winter wonderland” for tourists this year — and temperatures are forecasted to be as low as -22°F.
The Tomamu Ice Village, located on the northernmost island of Japan, is exactly what it sounds like: a village made of ice. Opening in December, the village will boast a variety of winter-themed, ice-centric activities and scenes for visitors of all ages to enjoy. The frozen town will feature an Ice Hotel (which is made entirely of ice), cocktails in ice glasses at the Ice Bar, stunning views from atop the Ice Slide before — you guessed it — you slide down and flaunt your athletic ability on the nearby skating rink.
If you’re feeling so inclined, you could even book a wintry wedding in the Ice Chapel. Made of a single, massive piece of carved ice (meant to symbolically represent “the unbreakable love between two pure souls which shall last forever”), couples should just warn guests to pack for Arctic conditions. Everything from the altar, to the wedding aisle and even the benches is hewn from ice and snow.
For families, the ice village will also offer an array of special kid-oriented activities. Children can make music with instruments fashioned from ice, play in an “ice bubble experience” and craft their own original pieces of art, er, ice-works. Oh, and it will definitely satisfy all their “Frozen” fantasies.
Though the village’s pre-opening will commence on Dec. 10, the official grand opening is scheduled for Jan. 18, 2019. Travelers can visit the Tomamu Ice Village until mid-March.
Guests should expect to pay ¥500 (about $5) for the entrance fee, however, specific activities and experiences may require additional payment. The Ice Village will be open daily from 5pm to 10pm. For more information, visit the official Tomamu Ice Village website.
Featured image courtesy of Hoshino Resorts TOMAMU.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees