This Village Made Entirely of Ice Is the Ultimate Winter Wonderland
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Forget everything you knew about tropical island getaways and pack your heaviest parka. Japan’s Hokkaido Island is setting up a “winter wonderland” for tourists this year — and temperatures are forecasted to be as low as -22°F.
The Tomamu Ice Village, located on the northernmost island of Japan, is exactly what it sounds like: a village made of ice. Opening in December, the village will boast a variety of winter-themed, ice-centric activities and scenes for visitors of all ages to enjoy. The frozen town will feature an Ice Hotel (which is made entirely of ice), cocktails in ice glasses at the Ice Bar, stunning views from atop the Ice Slide before — you guessed it — you slide down and flaunt your athletic ability on the nearby skating rink.
If you’re feeling so inclined, you could even book a wintry wedding in the Ice Chapel. Made of a single, massive piece of carved ice (meant to symbolically represent “the unbreakable love between two pure souls which shall last forever”), couples should just warn guests to pack for Arctic conditions. Everything from the altar, to the wedding aisle and even the benches is hewn from ice and snow.
For families, the ice village will also offer an array of special kid-oriented activities. Children can make music with instruments fashioned from ice, play in an “ice bubble experience” and craft their own original pieces of art, er, ice-works. Oh, and it will definitely satisfy all their “Frozen” fantasies.
Though the village’s pre-opening will commence on Dec. 10, the official grand opening is scheduled for Jan. 18, 2019. Travelers can visit the Tomamu Ice Village until mid-March.
Guests should expect to pay ¥500 (about $5) for the entrance fee, however, specific activities and experiences may require additional payment. The Ice Village will be open daily from 5pm to 10pm. For more information, visit the official Tomamu Ice Village website.
Featured image courtesy of Hoshino Resorts TOMAMU.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No delivery fees for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with a DashPass subscription from DoorDash -over a $100 value. Activate with your Chase Sapphire card by December 31, 2021.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.