Vietnam Airlines Crew Suspended After Aircraft Lands on Closed Runway
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Vietnam Airlines crew has been suspended after landing an aircraft on the wrong runway at Cam Ranh International Airport (CXR) on Sunday.
Vietnam Airlines Flight 7344 was flying from Ho Chi Minh City (SGN) to CXR — a journey that took just 40 minutes. The Airbus A321 (registration VN-A613) took off from SGN on time at 2:00pm local time before landing on the unauthorized runway around 2:55pm — five minutes earlier than scheduled.
A representative from Vietnam Airlines said that the aircraft landed on the wrong runway at CXR because there weren’t clear signs to differentiate between runways. The runway on which the aircraft landed was still under construction and not connected to the terminal.
Local newspaper Doisongphapluat reports that the aircraft was carrying 203 passengers, and no one was injured. Passengers and their luggage were effectively stuck on the runway and had to be transported to the terminal, though it’s not yet clear what happened to the aircraft.
The flight was operated by seven crew members, including a captain who is a US citizen and had been working with Vietnam Airlines since January 2018.
The Vietnamese Department of Aviation is establishing a team to investigate the incident. In the interim, Doisongphapluat reports that the Civil Aviation Department has suspended all seven crew members. The rest of the investigation is ongoing.
Featured image by NurPhoto / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.