Vietnam Airlines Crew Suspended After Aircraft Lands on Closed Runway
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Vietnam Airlines crew has been suspended after landing an aircraft on the wrong runway at Cam Ranh International Airport (CXR) on Sunday.
Vietnam Airlines Flight 7344 was flying from Ho Chi Minh City (SGN) to CXR — a journey that took just 40 minutes. The Airbus A321 (registration VN-A613) took off from SGN on time at 2:00pm local time before landing on the unauthorized runway around 2:55pm — five minutes earlier than scheduled.
A representative from Vietnam Airlines said that the aircraft landed on the wrong runway at CXR because there weren’t clear signs to differentiate between runways. The runway on which the aircraft landed was still under construction and not connected to the terminal.
Local newspaper Doisongphapluat reports that the aircraft was carrying 203 passengers, and no one was injured. Passengers and their luggage were effectively stuck on the runway and had to be transported to the terminal, though it’s not yet clear what happened to the aircraft.
The flight was operated by seven crew members, including a captain who is a US citizen and had been working with Vietnam Airlines since January 2018.
The Vietnamese Department of Aviation is establishing a team to investigate the incident. In the interim, Doisongphapluat reports that the Civil Aviation Department has suspended all seven crew members. The rest of the investigation is ongoing.
Featured image by NurPhoto / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees