Video: TPG Reviews His First Avianca Flight, Medellin to NYC
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We fly a lot here at TPG, but even The Points Guy in person hasn’t flown every major airline on the globe. One of those missing from his list was Colombia-based Avianca, one of he biggest carriers in South America — and now that’s checked off. Brian flew Avianca on his way back from his travels in Colombia, Medellin to New York via Bogotá.
Avianca enjoys a mixed-bag reputation. In TPG’s staff experience, it’s done awful things like canceling flights, then flying them anyway without telling passengers, but then it’s also been able to deliver a solid business-class experience across the Atlantic — or a haphazard one from the US to Colombia. And its LifeMiles loyalty program is full of interesting gems.
For the most part, that all adds up. Throughout Brian’s Avianca experience, he saw some spotty Wi-Fi, a failed seat-canoe test, and a mediocre lounge experience during the layover in Bogota. But he also had good service, a really good Oreo cheesecake, and on-time arrivals.
Watch his full experience below. And don’t forget to subscribe at the bottom of the page!
Fallen behind? No worries, catch up with Tuesday’s episode, in which Brian reviewed one of his top Marriott properties of all time — The Marriott Medellin. And join us every Tuesday and Thursday for new episodes of “Being The Points Guy” — next time, Brian reviews five must-eat food items to get on your next trip to Colombia!
Featured image by Eric Helgas for The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.