Video: TPG Reviews His First Avianca Flight, Medellin to NYC
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We fly a lot here at TPG, but even The Points Guy in person hasn’t flown every major airline on the globe. One of those missing from his list was Colombia-based Avianca, one of he biggest carriers in South America — and now that’s checked off. Brian flew Avianca on his way back from his travels in Colombia, Medellin to New York via Bogotá.
Avianca enjoys a mixed-bag reputation. In TPG’s staff experience, it’s done awful things like canceling flights, then flying them anyway without telling passengers, but then it’s also been able to deliver a solid business-class experience across the Atlantic — or a haphazard one from the US to Colombia. And its LifeMiles loyalty program is full of interesting gems.
For the most part, that all adds up. Throughout Brian’s Avianca experience, he saw some spotty Wi-Fi, a failed seat-canoe test, and a mediocre lounge experience during the layover in Bogota. But he also had good service, a really good Oreo cheesecake, and on-time arrivals.
Watch his full experience below. And don’t forget to subscribe at the bottom of the page!
Fallen behind? No worries, catch up with Tuesday’s episode, in which Brian reviewed one of his top Marriott properties of all time — The Marriott Medellin. And join us every Tuesday and Thursday for new episodes of “Being The Points Guy” — next time, Brian reviews five must-eat food items to get on your next trip to Colombia!
Featured image by Eric Helgas for The Points Guy.
This card from Bank of America gets really interesting if you have a BofA checking, savings or investment account. Depending on the value of your combined accounts you can potentially get as much as 3.5x points on travel/dining and 2.625x points on other purchases making it the richest consumer banking bonus out there.
- Receive 50,000 bonus points – a $500 value – after you make at least $3,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening
- Earn unlimited 2 points for every $1 spent on travel and dining purchases and unlimited 1.5 points per $1 spent on all other purchases
- If you're a Bank of America Preferred Rewards member, you can earn 25%-75% more points on every purchase
- No limit to the points you can earn and your points don't expire
- Redeem for cash back as a statement credit, deposit into eligible Bank of America® accounts, credit to eligible Merrill accounts, or gift cards or purchases at the Bank of America Travel Center
- Get up to $200 in combined airline incidental and airport expedited screening statement credits + valuable travel insurance protections
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Low $95 annual fee