Video: TPG Reviews His First Avianca Flight, Medellin to NYC
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We fly a lot here at TPG, but even The Points Guy in person hasn’t flown every major airline on the globe. One of those missing from his list was Colombia-based Avianca, one of he biggest carriers in South America — and now that’s checked off. Brian flew Avianca on his way back from his travels in Colombia, Medellin to New York via Bogotá.
Avianca enjoys a mixed-bag reputation. In TPG’s staff experience, it’s done awful things like canceling flights, then flying them anyway without telling passengers, but then it’s also been able to deliver a solid business-class experience across the Atlantic — or a haphazard one from the US to Colombia. And its LifeMiles loyalty program is full of interesting gems.
For the most part, that all adds up. Throughout Brian’s Avianca experience, he saw some spotty Wi-Fi, a failed seat-canoe test, and a mediocre lounge experience during the layover in Bogota. But he also had good service, a really good Oreo cheesecake, and on-time arrivals.
Watch his full experience below. And don’t forget to subscribe at the bottom of the page!
Fallen behind? No worries, catch up with Tuesday’s episode, in which Brian reviewed one of his top Marriott properties of all time — The Marriott Medellin. And join us every Tuesday and Thursday for new episodes of “Being The Points Guy” — next time, Brian reviews five must-eat food items to get on your next trip to Colombia!
Featured image by Eric Helgas for The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees