We got behind-the-scenes footage of the new Acela fleet
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amtrak’s Acela interiors are getting a big upgrade come 2021, and we are counting down the days.
The current Acela trains launched in 2000, and it’s the first time since then that they’ve been upgraded.
While Amtrak’s Acela fleet lags behind high-speed trains in Europe and Asia in terms of speed, these new trains will travel faster than the ones now on the tracks in the U.S. The new models will travel at 160 mph, 10 mph faster than current cars, and will use 20% less energy.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Because of a lack of infrastructure, Acela has to share limited rail tracks with freight and regional trains. The trains also have to go over a series of bridges, tunnels and curves that slow them down. Acela trains can’t reach the speeds of their foreign counterparts, but these new cars are built to actually go faster than the 160 mph they’ll initially travel. Amtrak engineers are working on ways they can reduce the impact of these obstacles in order to push the trains towards their top speed of 186 mph.
While trips are expected to get a bit shorter, Acela passengers can also look forward to a new and improved onboard hard product.
A new video shows off the trains in action at Alstom’s facility in Hornell, New York. The first train, out of 28 different trainsets, will be on its way to Pueblo, Colorado in a few weeks for further testing. If you’re already looking forward to the new Acela fleet, this footage is another behind-the-scenes look that we have a feeling you’ll enjoy.
Amtrak has been making some significant plans as of late. Reports surfaced earlier this week that they’re eyeing a new route from Atlanta to Nashville. In fact, if all goes according to plan, it will be Nashville’s first Amtrak route.
Even if you take a handful of trips a year, do yourself a favor and make sure you’re getting the most bang for your buck out of your trips. Our handy guide on the best credit cards for train travel will have you racking up the points/miles before you can say “All aboard.” Our top picks are the Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x), Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x) and Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card (2x miles).
No matter how often you ride the rails, don’t be one of the people who makes these 11 common mistakes when taking a cross-country Amtrak.
Featured image courtesy of Brendan Dorsey/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees