Amtrak is eyeing a new route in the Southern US
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amtrak executives are starting the year off with a bang.
Reports are surfacing that Amtrak wants to launch a route from Nashville to Atlanta, with stops in Chattanooga, Murfreesboro and Tullahoma.
The idea is in the early stages, though, as the federal government would need to create a grant program for the states first. CSX Corporation, the railroad owner, would also need to add more passenger trains. Amtrak is a federally owned corporation and pitched the idea earlier this week at a House Transportation panel meeting.
If all goes according to plan, it will be Nashville’s first Amtrak route. Ray Lang, Amtrak’s government affairs director, noted that the route would be six-and-a-half hours, with rides twice a day from both cities.
Amtrak has been surging in popularity as of late. Even if you take a handful of trips a year, do yourself a favor and make sure you’re getting the most bang for your buck out of your trips. Our handy guide on the best credit cards for train travel will have you racking up the points/miles before you can say “All aboard.” Our top picks are the Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x), Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x) and Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card (2x miles).
No matter how often you ride the rails, don’t be one of the people who makes these 11 common mistakes when taking a cross-country Amtrak.
In the meantime, we’ll be looking forward to the new Acela interiors set to launch next year.
Featured image by Malcolm MacGregor/Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.