You’ll need to show proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test to visit these major theme parks next month
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
All theme park visitors age 12 and older in Los Angeles will be subject to new COVID-19 vaccine and testing requirements, including at Universal Studios Hollywood and Six Flags Magic Mountain, beginning Oct. 7.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Per a new public health order issued earlier this month by Los Angeles County, proof of full vaccination or results of a negative COVID-19 test taken within the preceding 72 hours will be required to attend outdoor events with 10,000 or more people, including theme parks.
“Beginning on October 7, all persons ages 12 and older must be prepared to show proof of full COVID-19 vaccination or a negative test taken within 72 hours of visit, prior to entry to the theme park,” Universal said in updated safety guidelines while noting that visitors 18 and older must also show a photo ID. “Full COVID-19 vaccination means that two weeks have passed since receipt of the second dose in a 2-dose series (e.g., Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna) or since receipt of a single-dose vaccine (e.g., Johnson and Johnson [J&J]/Janssen).”
Universal and Six Flags will be the first major theme parks in the U.S. to be affected by pandemic-related restrictions issued by their local governing body.
“Verification will take place when required based on theme park attendance,” says Universal, which reminds guests that face masks remain compulsory at all times, both indoors and outdoors, at the theme park, and when indoors at Universal CityWalk.
“We encourage all guests to keep a safe distance between travel parties, and we remain focused on maintaining the highest cleanliness and sanitization standards,” it said.
Eligible forms of vaccination proof are the same at theme parks as they are throughout Los Angeles, and include vaccination records issued by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, California Department of Public Health and World Health Organization, or other documentation from a health care provider. Negative results of either a PCR or rapid antigen test taken within the 72-hour period of entering the park will be accepted. Test results can be printed or shown in an email or text message, and must certify said results are from a testing provider or laboratory. At-home tests will not be accepted.
Although Los Angeles theme parks are the first to be affected, other major theme parks, like Disney World, require face masks indoors. While not yet seen, a wide-reaching theme park vaccination mandate is supported throughout the industry.
Featured photo by Al Seib/Los Angeles Times via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees