Use Points to Book Hotels With Disney 60-Day FastPass Window and Extra Magic Hours
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Given the price of Disney World tickets, our family tries to get the most out of our days in the parks. If you have the stamina for it, Extra Magic Hours are a way to sneak in some more rides with your little ones. Getting your FastPass+ reservations at 60 days out from your first hotel date is perhaps even more crucial to avoid waiting hours for some top rides. You can access Extra Magic Hours and the 60-day window for FastPass+ by staying at a Disney Resort. Unfortunately, using hotel points for an on-site Disney World hotel reservation limits your options a bit.
For the longest time, the Swan and Dolphin were really the only choice for folks looking to redeem hotel points and stay on Disney property. With new changes to the Marriott Rewards program, those properties are getting much, much pricier beginning with stays booked in August 2018 (so lock them in now for the next year or so).
Earlier this year, some properties near Disney Springs that were traditionally not a part of Extra Magic Hours and FastPass+ system came onboard with a new host of Disney benefits. The initial announcement was quite a few months ago, but it had a caveat that seemed to eliminate award rooms from this benefit. Originally, it appeared you could only book a cash rate at these hotels. However, we’re starting to see reports that award bookings are also getting access to Extra Magic Hours and 60-day FastPass+. That’s great news! Here’s a list of the hotels near Disney Springs that are eligible for Extra Magic Hours:
- B Resort & Spa
- Best Western Lake Buena Vista
- Hilton Orlando Buena Vista Palace
- Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista
- Holiday Inn Orlando
- Wyndham Garden Lake Buena Vista
These hotels are all located near Disney Springs and are not a part of the regular Disney transportation network. However, you can head over to Disney Springs to access the buses and boats from there. Reasonable people can certainly debate the value of using the points from the various hotel chains to stay at these properties. Some of these properties are cheaper than the others when it comes to how many points it will cost for a room, and as always you should compare paid rates vs. award rates.
While I’ve read varying reports about the quality of the rooms at some of these hotels, at least there are more options when it comes to places you can use points and take advantage of Disney Extra Magic Hours and 60-day FastPass+ reservations. The good news for families who are getting priced out of the Swan and Dolphin is that you you should now be able to redeem Best Western, Hilton Honors, IHG and Wyndham Rewards points and get extra Disney World benefits. Disney World initially has thus far announced this as a benefit for 2018, so be cautious with reservations in 2019. I’d be a little surprised if this goes away at this point for stays in 2019, but you never know.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees