Here’s the 60-Seat Boeing 737 the US Women’s Soccer Team Flew to France
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The United States Women’s National Soccer Team (USWNT) has just won its fourth World Cup. After defeating the Netherlands with a final score of 2 to 0, the USWNT is currently partying it up in France. With social media littered with videos and pictures of the team popping bottles of champagne and dancing on furniture, it’s safe to say they’re probably not thinking about the flight home.
However, while these ladies are busy celebrating their hard-earned win, TPG did manage to find the team’s intra-European Boeing 737.
For around a week leading up to the World Cup, the USWNT practiced at a facility in England. To get to their next stop in France, the country hosting the World Cup, the USWNT got to fly aboard a Boeing 737-300. However, unlike your typical Boeing 737, which carries anywhere from 110 to 177 passengers, this 737 featured just 60 seats.
Though the aircraft pales in comparison to other luxury jets, the Boeing 737-300 is still equipped with some decent amenities, like extra-reclining seats with leg rests. That might not sound all that luxurious, however, the team only flew aboard the aircraft for the short 40-minute flight from London to Paris.
The US Women’s National Soccer Team aren’t the only high-profile travelers to enjoy the comfort of this 32-year-old VIP-configured Boeing 737-300. The aircraft, which bears the registration 9H-MTF, previously served as the official plane for Green Day’s 2017 South American tour.
And while the USWNT traveled aboard the chartered aircraft for this leg of the World Cup, these aircraft are rarely available to women’s soccer teams in the US. In fact, the USWNT sued the United States Soccer Federation over gender discrimination primarily over the right to equal pay but also included women’s teams failing to receive equal access to chartered flights for away games.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image captured from video by The United States Soccer Federation on YouTube
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.