Here’s the 60-Seat Boeing 737 the US Women’s Soccer Team Flew to France
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The United States Women’s National Soccer Team (USWNT) has just won its fourth World Cup. After defeating the Netherlands with a final score of 2 to 0, the USWNT is currently partying it up in France. With social media littered with videos and pictures of the team popping bottles of champagne and dancing on furniture, it’s safe to say they’re probably not thinking about the flight home.
However, while these ladies are busy celebrating their hard-earned win, TPG did manage to find the team’s intra-European Boeing 737.
For around a week leading up to the World Cup, the USWNT practiced at a facility in England. To get to their next stop in France, the country hosting the World Cup, the USWNT got to fly aboard a Boeing 737-300. However, unlike your typical Boeing 737, which carries anywhere from 110 to 177 passengers, this 737 featured just 60 seats.
Though the aircraft pales in comparison to other luxury jets, the Boeing 737-300 is still equipped with some decent amenities, like extra-reclining seats with leg rests. That might not sound all that luxurious, however, the team only flew aboard the aircraft for the short 40-minute flight from London to Paris.
The US Women’s National Soccer Team aren’t the only high-profile travelers to enjoy the comfort of this 32-year-old VIP-configured Boeing 737-300. The aircraft, which bears the registration 9H-MTF, previously served as the official plane for Green Day’s 2017 South American tour.
And while the USWNT traveled aboard the chartered aircraft for this leg of the World Cup, these aircraft are rarely available to women’s soccer teams in the US. In fact, the USWNT sued the United States Soccer Federation over gender discrimination primarily over the right to equal pay but also included women’s teams failing to receive equal access to chartered flights for away games.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image captured from video by The United States Soccer Federation on YouTube
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees