Travel between the US and UK moves closer to a comeback after Biden, Johnson joint task force announcement
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with new information.
After more than a year of stringent travel restrictions between the U.S. and the U.K., President Joe Biden and Prime Minister Boris Johnson have agreed to work toward reopening transatlantic travel.
Want more travel news from TPG? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
The two leaders met on Thursday ahead of Friday’s G7 summit, and agreed to work toward reopening travel between the U.S. and the U.K. as part of a refreshed “Atlantic Charter,” the Wall Street Journal reported. The original Atlantic Charter was a joint statement by President Franklin D. Roosevelt and Prime Minister Winston Churchill in 1941, outlining the allies’ goals for the world after the eventual end of World War II.
The two governments will participate in a joint task force with the objective of reopening a travel corridor between the countries, British Secretary of State for Transport Grant Shapps said.
— Rt Hon Grant Shapps MP (@grantshapps) June 9, 2021
As of now, most U.S. travelers are required to quarantine for 10 days upon landing in the U.K., and the U.S. continues to prohibit U.K. travelers to enter as part of its wider international travel ban. Many companies in the travel industry have urged both leaders to work toward lifting restrictions so that transatlantic travel may resume. However, even with travel officials on both sides of the Atlantic pushing for a U.S.-U.K. travel corridor, the CDC still lists the U.K. at a Level 3, “high” risk, even following last week’s advisory update.
There are also still concerns as the Delta variant of COVID-19 has contributed to a fresh outbreak in the U.K.
Still, the potential for fully reopened borders between the U.S. and the U.K. is an exciting prospect as more people get fully vaccinated and summer travel heats up both at home and abroad.
Featured photo by Joe Giddens – WPA Pool/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees