US Travelers Take Extreme Measures to Get to Polls on Election Day
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s finally here: Tuesday is Election Day across the nation.
And while most people are getting out to their local polling places, some travel influencers and frequent flyers were working a little harder to cast their ballots for the 2018 Midterm Elections.
— Scott Mayerowitz (@GlobeTrotScott) November 6, 2018
Heading back home to Austin today so I can vote! Be sure you vote today! Remember if you’re in line when the polls close, you’re still eligible to vote! They can’t send you home!
— Nomadic Matt (@nomadicmatt) November 6, 2018
I could have easily spent a few more days (or weeks) in Bora Bora, but I had to get home to VOTE! If you’re a citizen of the US, please make time to visit your polling place today!!! #ivoted https://t.co/W6YP7gbp72 pic.twitter.com/zcnFT0BOnP
— Zach Honig (@ZachHonig) November 6, 2018
Frequent travelers can also consider voting by absentee ballot. Barring any mail debacles, that process should be easy to complete before you travel. If you do need to request an absentee ballot to be sent to a long-term trip destination, keep in mind a remote locale could present logistical obstacles.
Managed to vote from #fiji but it took a village. One hotel worker helped me tape ridic NYS address printout to envelope with packing tape we cut with our teeth bc neither of us had scissors. 1/
— Jada Yuan (@jadabird) November 3, 2018
Another hotel worker called her son who works for the post office to see if I could mail something from a tiny village on a Saturday, since none of the hours were posted. 2/
— Jada Yuan (@jadabird) November 3, 2018
My absentee ballot didn’t come so I’m taking an all night bus to NC, voting, and flying back to be at work at 11 in DC. Stay tuned as I live-tweet my venture into madness for the sake of civic duty. #VoteSaveAmerica #iguess
— Emi Anne (@f_emi_nist) November 6, 2018
If you haven’t voted yet, don’t forget about the discounts and promotions rideshare companies are offering to transport voters to the polls on Tuesday.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees