How to Get to the Polls for Free on Election Day
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Tomorrow, on Nov. 6, millions of Americans will travel to the polls to cast ballots for local, state and federal elections. While many will drive themselves to their polling location or have already mailed in their absentee ballots — a host of citizens will have trouble exercising one of their most sacred rights. In fact, the Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement estimates that more than 15 million people didn’t vote in the 2016 election due to lack of transportation.
Fortunately, there are a number of transportation services that are offering free or discounted rides on election day. Here’s a round-up of how you can save cash when getting to the polls:
Uber will “be offering $10 off a single ride to the polls on Election Day on the most affordable Uber option available in your city (Express POOL, POOL, or UberX, in that order).” Uber provided these details on how to access the discount in the app on election day:
- Make sure you have the most recent version of the Uber app.
- Enter the promotional code VOTE2018 in your app. (Tap Menu > Payment > Add Promo Code)
- Request your ride using our polling place locator, right in the Uber app.
- Be sure to select the most affordable Uber option available in your city (Express POOL, POOL, or UberX, in that order).
Note that the code is not available at all in Michigan, Puerto Rico or other US territories.
Lyft has partnered with Buzzfeed to offer 50% off rides (up to $5 off) to voting sites on Nov. 6. Head to Buzzfeed’s special website here and enter your zipcode. You’ll then receive a special code you can enter in your Lyft app to get the discount, which is only valid on election day.
Lime Scooters will be offering free 30 minute rides on its scooters, bikes and e-bikes. Open up your LIME app and enter the code: LIME2VOTE18 — you’ll then have access to one complimentary 30 minute ride in one of the 100+ cities where Lime is active.
Bike Shares in Major Cities
Motivate, which was recently purchased by Lyft, operates bikeshare programs around the country. You can enter the code: BIKETOVOTE in the relevant app to receive a free day pass on election day. Eligible programs include:
- Citi Bike in New York and Jersey City
- Bluebikes in Boston
- Capital Bikeshare in Washington D.C.
- Nice Ride Minnesota in Minneapolis
- Ford GoBike in the San Francisco Bay Area
- CoGo in Columbus, OH
Additionally Divvy in Chicago “will offer users free $15 Explorer Passes with the code VOTE18, granting them an unlimited number of three-hour trips in a 24-hour window,” according to VentureBeat. Portland residents can use the code BIKE2VOTE for a free 30 minute ride on Motivate’s Biketown program.
While it’s probably not as convenient, you can rent an entire car through either ZipCar or Getaround and receive a ride credit. If you take a trip in a Zipcar from 6pm to 10pm on election night, you’ll get $20 in credit toward a future booking, according to a blog post on the company’s website.
VentureBeat reports that Getaround users can enter the code GETAROUND2VOTE for $10 off election day rentals in these cities: San Francisco, Oakland, Berkeley, Los Angeles, Portland, Chicago, Washington DC, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Seattle, Boston, New York City, Miami and San Diego.
Featured image by Joe Raedle/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees