US State Department Issues New Warning on Travel to China
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The US Department of State issued a new travel warning on China, officially increasing its travel advisory rating for China to Level 2 (exercise increased precautions) on Thursday.
The new precautionary level is due to China’s “arbitrary enforcement of local laws as well as special restrictions on dual U.S.-Chinese nationals,” the alert says. “Chinese authorities have asserted broad authority to prohibit U.S. citizens from leaving China by using ‘exit bans,’ sometimes keeping U.S. citizens in China for years,” the bulletin continues, noting that these so-called exit bans are used to coerce citizens to partake in government investigations, coax Chinese individuals back into the country from abroad and aid authorities in civil disputes.
In July 2018, China released its own travel advisory for Chinese citizens visiting the US. The notice warned that Chinese tourists should look out for “gunfights, stabbings, and muggings” and also advises them to “be very vigilant about the people around [you], and avoid walking out alone at night.”
Since China is now a Level 2 advisory, American travelers should follow specific guidelines while visiting such as carrying their US passport and a valid Chinese visa with them at all times, enrolling in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to keep updated on emergency alerts, follow the Department of State and US Embassy on social media.
China is by no means the only country with a Level 2 advisory level. US travelers are also suggested to “exercise increased precautions” in South Africa, Brazil, Spain, France, United Kingdom, India, Russia and many other nations. More information on travel advisory levels and how to handle emergency situations in China can be found here, on the US State Department’s Country Information page.
Featured image by Igor Golovniov/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees