Crime in Jamaica Leads US Government to Elevate Travel Warning
The US government has issued a new warning for travel to Jamaica, officially making its travel advisory rating a level two “exercise increased caution” out of a potential four levels.
The State Department attributes this rating to the frequent incidents of violent crime throughout the island nation, such as home invasions, armed robberies, homicide and sexual assault, which occurs frequently, even at all-inclusive resorts. The advisory also states that the Jamaican police force doesn’t have the resources to respond effectively to serious criminal incidents, contributing to a more dangerous situation.
Cities highlighted in the advisory include Kingston, Montego Bay and Spanish Town. For Kingston, US officials strongly suggest avoiding Cassava Piece, Downtown Kingston — specifically between Mountain View Avenue and Hagley Park Road as well as south of Half Way Tree and Old Hope Roads —Trench Town, Tivoli Gardens, Arnett Gardens, Grants Pen and Standpipe. For Montego Bay, the advisory lists Canterbury, Clavers Street, Flankers, Hart Street, Norwood and Rose Heights.
Aside from avoiding certain areas, the State Department suggests travelers exercise certain cautious behavior as well. When in Jamaica, travelers should avoid walking or driving at night, avoid taking public buses and being in secluded areas (including in resorts).
We also always suggest following the State Department on social media and enrolling in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security alerts and help share your location in case of an emergency. US citizens should also review the State Department’s Traveler’s Checklist prior to their trip.
Featured image by Alex Kuznetsov / 500px via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees