Male Passenger Faces up to Life in Prison for Sexual Assault of Seatmate
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A male Spirit Airlines passenger has been convicted of sexual abuse for undressing and fondling a woman flying next to him on an overnight flight from Las Vegas to Detroit in January.
A federal jury convicted 35-year-old Prabhu Ramamoorthy on Thursday of sexual abuse on board an aircraft for digitally penetrating the victim, the US Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Michigan says. He could face up to a lifetime in prison after he’s sentenced on December 12. Because he’s on a US work visa, Ramamoorthy would also face deportation after his sentence is served, CNN reports. However, the criminal complaint did not identify his home country.
The victim, a 22-year-old woman, says she fell asleep on the flight leaning against the window when she suddenly woke up to the passenger next to her with his hand down her pants and both her pants and shirt unbuttoned and the passenger next to her, Ramamoorthy, fondling her, the criminal complaint obtained by CNN states. The woman immediately told a flight attendant what happened.
In a written statement included with the complaint, Ramamoorthy said he was in a “deep sleep” and that “through my knowledge I didn’t [sic] anything to her.” Then he said in an interview with an FBI agent that he had touched the passenger’s breasts over her clothes and “might have” undone the victim’s bra and unzipped her pants and fondled her.
The jury deliberated for less than four hours before convicting Ramamoorthy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees