Unruly Passenger Dancing and Singing ‘Really Loudly’ Causes Delta Flight to Divert
A male passenger forced an Atlanta-bound Delta plane to divert to Tulsa, Oklahoma (TUL), after he became unruly mid-flight.
Delta Flight 1156 was headed from Portland (PDX) to Atlanta (ATL) on Wednesday when the man became aggressive toward a flight attendant while the plane was mid-air. The man was so unruly that federal air marshals on board had to intervene and subdue him.
Witnesses say the man was singing and dancing while the flight was boarding at PDX, and he began to do so again in-flight before lashing out at the aircraft cabin crew. “All in all, it was a crazy flight,” passenger Lisa Zimmerman told ABC News.
According to Zimmerman, the man “started singing really loudly” during the flight. When a flight attendant tapped him in an effort to tell him to stop, Zimmerman said the man “flipped.” “He threw off his headphones and said, ‘Touch me again and you’ll regret it,’” she said.
After that, the federal air marshals intervened and “successfully de-escalated and the controlled the situation,” US Attorney R. Trent Shores told ABC.
The flight I’m on just had to emergency land in Tulsa so the police could escort a man off the plane. (It’s a crazy story) As a witness to the whole situation, I have to say that @Delta did a great job handling it. Good job, @Delta ! Also, love the amount of leg room! ??♀️
— Lisa Zimmerman (@Leese_Zimmerman) May 30, 2018
Delta told TPG the 737-900 aircraft landed “without incident” in Tulsa, and the passenger was met by law enforcement after deplaning. “Delta apologizes to our customers delayed by this diversion,” an airline spokesperson said in a statement.
There were 172 customers, 6 working crew on board.
The FBI is investigating the incident. It’s a federal crime punishable by a fine and/or prison time to interfere with the duties of a flight attendant by assault or intimidation.
Featured image by Alberto Riva / The Points Guy.
*This post has been updated with Delta’s statement to TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.