Unruly Passenger Dancing and Singing ‘Really Loudly’ Causes Delta Flight to Divert
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A male passenger forced an Atlanta-bound Delta plane to divert to Tulsa, Oklahoma (TUL), after he became unruly mid-flight.
Delta Flight 1156 was headed from Portland (PDX) to Atlanta (ATL) on Wednesday when the man became aggressive toward a flight attendant while the plane was mid-air. The man was so unruly that federal air marshals on board had to intervene and subdue him.
Witnesses say the man was singing and dancing while the flight was boarding at PDX, and he began to do so again in-flight before lashing out at the aircraft cabin crew. “All in all, it was a crazy flight,” passenger Lisa Zimmerman told ABC News.
According to Zimmerman, the man “started singing really loudly” during the flight. When a flight attendant tapped him in an effort to tell him to stop, Zimmerman said the man “flipped.” “He threw off his headphones and said, ‘Touch me again and you’ll regret it,’” she said.
After that, the federal air marshals intervened and “successfully de-escalated and the controlled the situation,” US Attorney R. Trent Shores told ABC.
The flight I’m on just had to emergency land in Tulsa so the police could escort a man off the plane. (It’s a crazy story) As a witness to the whole situation, I have to say that @Delta did a great job handling it. Good job, @Delta ! Also, love the amount of leg room! 💁🏻♀️
— Lisa Zimmerman (@Leese_Zimmerman) May 30, 2018
Delta told TPG the 737-900 aircraft landed “without incident” in Tulsa, and the passenger was met by law enforcement after deplaning. “Delta apologizes to our customers delayed by this diversion,” an airline spokesperson said in a statement.
There were 172 customers, 6 working crew on board.
The FBI is investigating the incident. It’s a federal crime punishable by a fine and/or prison time to interfere with the duties of a flight attendant by assault or intimidation.
Featured image by Alberto Riva / The Points Guy.
*This post has been updated with Delta’s statement to TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees