This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines is once again the second largest airline in the world by passenger traffic, edging out Delta as the second biggest in the worldwide metric.
In 2018, the Chicago-based carrier flew 230.2 billion revenue passenger miles — a key measure of traffic obtained by multiplying the number of passengers by the distance flown. By comparison, Delta’s revenue passenger miles for 2018 totaled 225.2 billion. Delta had been the No. 2 airline since 2015, when it knocked United out of the second place slot. American Airlines has held the title of world’s largest airline by passenger traffic and is expected to hold its place after it releases its 2018 numbers.
According to Bloomberg, United’s growth can be attributed to a recent concentrated push to increase its flight capacities by as much as 6% in some of its key markets like Chicago, Houston and Denver. That growth is not likely to slow down in 2019, with United already targeting 22 new domestic route launches and 11 new regional jet routes taking off so far this year. That’s in addition to the airline upgrading its capacity on transcontinental routes, adding flights with its new widebody Boeing 787-10.
“Our goal is not to be the biggest,” United spokeswoman Megan McCarthy told Bloomberg. “We want to be the best and as we implement our strategy, we are looking to build on this momentum in 2019.”
Featured image courtesy of United.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees